Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not able to connect to home router via vpn from my iPhone

Snorlax
Aspirant

Not able to connect to home router via vpn from my iPhone

Hello,

Help please.

I have a Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router Model R7000 running firmware 1.0.9.34.

I can't get OpenVPN client on my iPhone 8+ iOS 11.4.1 to connect to my router through VPN while away from home.

OpenVPN on my iPhone keeps showing "Waiting for server" then "Connection timeout".  I placed the VPN configeration

files generated from my router from the VPN Service page to my iPhone.  I used all default settings on the VPN Service page.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Not able to connect to home router via vpn from my iPhone

Assuming you had re-downloaded the VPN config and imported into the OpenVPN client since Netgear changed the certificate hash from MD5 to SHA256 method, your router DDNS is workable, and your ISP does continue to assign a public IPv4 address to your Internet connection (resp. the router WAN/Internet interface, not using IPv6 Lite or Carrier Grade NAT), and last but not least the network connection in use currently on the mobile device is not restricted by some policies (like a business WLAN might be prohibitng any kind of VPN usage for example).

Doesn't the iOS OpenVPN App have top right an icon allowing to read (and e.g Email) the OpenVPN current Log File? Convinced this might get some insight what goes wrong.

Screenshot_20180723-084942.pngScreenshot_20180723-084950.png

PS. Examples screeenshots are taken from a test environment, the 172.16.x.x is a RFC1918 private network - typical example of an address range not reacahbel from the Internet. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Not able to connect to home router via vpn from my iPhone

Assuming you had re-downloaded the VPN config and imported into the OpenVPN client since Netgear changed the certificate hash from MD5 to SHA256 method, your router DDNS is workable, and your ISP does continue to assign a public IPv4 address to your Internet connection (resp. the router WAN/Internet interface, not using IPv6 Lite or Carrier Grade NAT), and last but not least the network connection in use currently on the mobile device is not restricted by some policies (like a business WLAN might be prohibitng any kind of VPN usage for example).

Doesn't the iOS OpenVPN App have top right an icon allowing to read (and e.g Email) the OpenVPN current Log File? Convinced this might get some insight what goes wrong.

Screenshot_20180723-084942.pngScreenshot_20180723-084950.png

PS. Examples screeenshots are taken from a test environment, the 172.16.x.x is a RFC1918 private network - typical example of an address range not reacahbel from the Internet. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7