Not getting full Gigabit speeds with R7000 router paired with ASUS PCE-AC68 network adapter

computeraddict
Aspirant

Not getting full Gigabit speeds with R7000 router paired with ASUS PCE-AC68 network adapter

Router: Netgear R7000 / AC1900

Network adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 / Wifi AC1900

Yes, i am only getting 200mbps speeds through my router on the 5Ghz band...it's not a range issue i placed my laptop right next to the router and still was getting those speeds, give or take.

Yes, I have directly connected my computer to my modem via ethernet and i was getting full gigabit speeds 1Gbps/1000mbps. I have Bell Fiber optic internet. 

When i connected my laptop to my router (which is connected to the modem as well) directly via ethernet i was getting the same 1Gbps/1000mbps speeds.

So i am getting the speed im supposed to get when i directly connect my computer to modem, as well as when i directly connect my computer to the router. JUST THE WIFI is not giving the full speeds that it's supposed to.

I called Netgear support, they tried everything, but couldn't fix it. Connected me to Gearhead support and even they couldn't fix it. Took my card info and said you will only get charged IF we fix your issue...so you will not get charged if we cannot solve your issue. My issue was not resolved, and I STILL got charged lol. So i asked for a refund and that's currently in the progress right now...think i have to wait a day for it to process. I better get my refund though.

Anyway, they said i cannot replace it now because i bought the router is 2016 (I did not always have 1Gbps Fiber optic internet...just recently got it) and the warranty is expired which is bull. You advertise on the box that this router can support 600+1300 mbps speeds...and it can't do that. I don't think it's false advertising... I think the product is just a defective. Because as you will see below, i have provided links with many other people having this SAME ISSUE. 

I have looked this issue up on Google as well. and i saw multiple people having the SAME ISSUE, some of them are even using the same network adapter as me. here are some examples. As you can see they are using the same model. 

1) https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-not-doing-gigabit-ethernet-speeds/td-p...

2) https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/7c4d9t/not_getting_full_gigabit_speeds_with_netgear...

3) https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31405976-Hardwired-from-R7000-not-getting-gigabit-download-speeds

4) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-r7000-isnt-up-to-speed-on-a-gigabit-connection-through-cm1...

There are more if you search hard, this is not all of them lol

I believe Netgear is doing planned obsolescence. When i was getting Gearhead support from the Netgear expert on phone, the person tried reverting to an older firmware. Then in router settings, went to Qos, enabled Qos really quick, and clicked on Speed Test through there... and noticed the router got 100mbps more speeds than before...so i was getting 300mbps to the router before, and after she reverted to an older firmware, she noticed the speeds we're now getting was 400mbps. but still that did not solve the problem as they weren't full gigabit speeds. Something is defective in this product...if everybody is having the same issue we should get a refund. When we were buying the router is SAYS it supports 600+1300mbps speeds...but IT DOESN'T. I want a refund.

When i say 200mbps or 300mbps or 400mbps its give or take. i am giving a rough estimate. because that's what its around. the actual speeds im getting might actually be 234mbps which as you can tell from the pictures i've attached, is the Wifi speed that i'm getting on this router.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

Re: Not getting full Gigabit speeds with R7000 router paired with ASUS PCE-AC68 network adapter

Modem I'm using: Bell Home Hub 3000

I have Bell's Fiber optic internet 1Gbps

I have attached another picture here. As you can see the link speed that my router is getting is 263mbps... and you can also see that it's capped at 450mbps. And by default the channel bandwidth is at 20MHz... my router settings are set to "Up to 1300 Mbps" in the 5GHz wireless network settings.

maybe it is false advertising? Maybe all router manufacturers lie about their Wifi speeds? it might not just be Netgear. Is anybody even getting 1Gbps speeds through their Wifi? can anyone confirm? What kind of router do you need to get 1Gbps Wifi speeds through it. (Notice i'm asking about WIFI speeds, not directly connecting it via ethernet cable). Will the new Netgear Wifi 6 devices provide me that kind of speeds? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

Re: Not getting full Gigabit speeds with R7000 router paired with ASUS PCE-AC68 network adapter

What PHY speed is being used? (usually found in the wifi settings).  See duckware.com/wifi for details...

Message 3 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

so it's really an advertising problem... and all manufacturers do it...sad

Message 4 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

Well, both router and network adapter are 802.11ac 3x3 MIMO.  Best case (with feet of each other), they would connect at a PHY speed of 1300 Mbps and have actual possible throughput around 55% of that (715 Mbps).

Use the troubleshooting guide at duckware.com/wifi to hopefully track down where the issue is.  What PHY speed is the adapter connecting to the router (WiFi status should provide that number)? That PHY number looked up into the PHY speed tables should then provide a lot of information about what is happening.

Message 5 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

I think you're asking for link speed. yeah when i go to Wifi status it shows about 230mbps only and the channel bandwidth is 20MHz... it SHOULD be showing 1300mbps -_-

will it be faster on the 80MHz or 40MHz? how do i change it to 80MHz? it seems the router automatically picks channel bandwidth i don't think i can manually change it right?

Message 6 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

Can you provide that exact link speed that the OS reports?

Install the  WiFiAnalyzer (open-source) app on a smartphone or tablet and confirm that the router is operating at 5 GHz on an 80 Mhz channel.

Message 7 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

Wifi analyzer is what i was using to tell you that i'm on the 20MHz bandwidth on 5GHz band. and the link speed is 263/450mbps. I have attached an image to this reply. Please find it and download it to see what i'm talking about. I'm using the wifi analyzer app on my PC

Message 8 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

i have attached another image to this reply. (I can only attach one image per reply). Please find it and see that one as well for my link speed

Message 9 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

I need the PHY speed reported by the OS -- see duckware.com/wifi#PHY

Sorry, where in what you provided shows the channel width that the router is broadcasting?  That is needed information.

Message 10 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

Dude...look at the picture i attached. it SHOWS it's on 20MHz ....it's in the image that's titled "3"... Under network details...Bandwidth...and there it is. and it shows the PHY speed as well. Can you not see it? 

Message 11 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

It also shows contradictory impossible information -- so whatever WiFi analyzer you are using is not trustworthy.

According to the OS Wi-Fi Status dialog provided, Signal Quality is horrible (2/5 bars), and the 234.0 speed matches up with 80 Mhz channel 802.11ac speeds (either 1x1 or 2x2) at a long distance.

Without providing more of the information requested, this problem is resolved: the PC is too far away from the router.

Message 12 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

no...lol resolved? the PC (desktop) is far away from the router *right now* yes, but you seriously think i didn't test it by taking my computer close to my router? i have tested it that way too. it was on a different computer (not my desktop) I took my laptop and placed it RIGHT NEXT to the router and still got about the same speeds. except now the link speed said 324mbps instead of 234mbps... it STILL WASN'T GIGABIT SPEEDS. NO MATTER HOW CLOSE I PLACE IT TO MY ROUTER. WHICH ON THE BOX IT CLEARLY SAYS IT CAN DO 1300mbps ON THE 5GHz BAND

Message 13 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

Great, please provide the same OS Wi-Fi status JPG for when the PC is right next to the router.  I expect signal quality to be 5/5 and the link speed is the key number (that I will then look up in PHY speed tables) and hopefully will reveal (part of) what is going on...

Message 14 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

Do you have an android phone/tablet that you know supports 2x2 MIMO?  If so, what exact link speed is seen when connected right next to the router?

Message 15 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

MU-MIMO on the router.  Is it on or off?  If on, test with it off - help at all?

Message 16 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

I took my computer downstairs next to my router and tested speeds again and got all the screenshots for you. Now i can only attach 1 screenshot per reply so here goes...make sure you check all of them. Lots of info. Here's the first one.

Message 17 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

Did several speedtests here's what it looks like when i test my speeds. As you can see, even though whether i have 877mbps link speeds or 1.3Gbps link speeds...my speeds on speedtest.net were the same. I can't get any higher than this. This proves my point. Manufacturers lie about the capable speeds of their devices (Netgear advertises on R7000 that it can do 1300Mbps speeds on the 5GHz band but clearly my device can't do better than 352Mbps down and 360Mbps up) and yeah they are slimey snake oils salesman who lie about the speeds on their products to make $$$.

Message 18 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

Channel 153 didn't seem like the best channel to be on according to Wifi Analyzer app. notice i'm getting 878Mbps link speed on it (refer to image attached)

Message 19 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

Channel 36 seemed like the best one. Notice now i'm getting full 1.3Gbps link speed and the Wifi Analyzer app recommends this channel. (refer to image attached)

Message 20 of 22
computeraddict
Aspirant

And that's all of the images i got. so make sure to check them on all my previous replies. Just because Netgear's R7000 device shows I have 1.3Gbps link speed and then continue to not give me full speed when I ACTUALLY DOWNLOAD OR UPLOAD SOMETHING does not mean you get to advertise that your device is capable of 1300Mbps speeds. It can't do that. so WHY lie to me?

Theoretical speed of 5GHz band on Netgear R7000: 1.3Gbps

Real speed of 5GHz band on Netgear R7000: 352Mbps

despicable man...just despicable

Message 21 of 22
duckware
Prodigy

Thanks for all the info.  The provided information shows that you are connecting 3x3 using an 80 Mhz channel to the router.  The PHY speeds of 263, 877.5, 1300 all support this conclusion.

Almost all the information provided by the WiFi Analyzer app you are using is bad and incorrect information.  See https://matthafner.com/wifianalyzer/help/limitations

You can 'expect' around 55% of the PHY speed at the application level (in speed tests).

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E