Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not working with USB 3.0

Hamza916
Aspirant

Not working with USB 3.0

So i got the Ac1900 a7000 today and when i plug it into my USB port 2.0 and 3.0 they are both the same speed like I am not seeing a difference in using port 3.0 at all (speed at 866.7 Mbps) and i believe i have all the latest stuff installed so can anyone help me?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting it to?

What speeds do you get over 2.4gh? 

Over 5ghz? (2.4ghz is much slower)

How far from the router are you?

what materials is between the router and the A7000. 

Message 2 of 8
Hamza916
Aspirant

I am connecting it to a xfinity router don't know the specific one but it's a good one and my speeds for 5 amd 2.4GHz are the same which is like 866.7 Mbps that's what I was asking why is it not working better on my USB 3.0
Message 3 of 8
Hamza916
Aspirant

Also I am noticing that it slows down alot like the wifi will get super slow and sometimes even disconnect any way to fix that. Also I am not too far from the main wifi router maybe 100 feet and the obstacle in the way is a wall.
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. 100 ft is quite a distance. Especially indoors. And 5ghz signal/speed drops off faster than 2.4ghz. So you're speeds will be much lower to the point the usb 2.0 or 3.0 interface isn't the bottleneck. 

2. The router is important. If you're using  an old/bad/cheap router, the wireless card wasn't the bottle neck

3. I doubt both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz are connected at 866mbps. because the A7000 supports 600mbps link on 2.4ghz and 1300mbps link over 5ghz

4. Link speed is not the same as throughput speed. Throughput speed for 5ghz tends to be 55-65% of what the link speed is. 2.4ghz is much much worse. 

So your bottleneck probably isn't the usb interface. Its both distance, router, band used, and understanding of bands. 

Try this method to stop the disconnects. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg5UMe84G_Q

Or just do a clean install on the driver

Message 5 of 8
Hamza916
Aspirant

Both my speeds are like for 2.4 amd 5 GHz because right now my USB is plugged into a 2.0 port amd I am getting that much 866.7 and when I plug into a 3.0 port its the same the sketchy thing is that it dosent even chnage .1 it's exactly the same and I can stare at it for 5mins and the Mbps still wount change.
Message 6 of 8
Hamza916
Aspirant

My main wifi router is a good one and pretty latest about 2- years new and everything else works super fast even on my internet speed tests its fantastic even speed tests with the A7000 it says really fast but dosent show it sometimes
Message 7 of 8

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Adapters - NETGEAR Communities

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7