Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: One last try to get help

formerfan
Aspirant

One last try to get help

I am making one last appeal for help here because I have just had a very bad experience with whoever or whatever is handling Netgear's support. I tried setting up this brand new router using the app, hoping for a relatively easy experience. The app gave me an error code and put a phone number in my phone. I called it, the gentleman on the other end told I have to connect a computer directly to the modem. I thanked him and disconnected, went and set up the laptop as requested, called back, and I got a woman who spoke to me like I was about 2 years old, who instructed me to go to www.support.me and allow her to access my computer. She spent a few minutes doing something, not clear on what, and then she told me, "when you click on links on the internet, sometimes those links take you to bad places and they can do bad things to your computer. It appears that you have been to a place on the internet that put something bad on your computer."

She then proceeded to ask me for my zip code, and looked up what kind of software I could purchase, finally telling me that everything on my local network was infected and if I wanted to get on the internet I had to install security software and started telling me about purchase plans.     Was she trying to tell me my computer was so infected I wouldn't be able to get online at all? I'm not sure.

Now there may be malware on this computer. Was this lady telling me my computer is so infected that I can't get online at all?  Was she telling me it wasn't the router that was the problem to begin with, or rather, probably trying to avoid saying that? I couldn't really tell because she was not talking to me like an adult. So I turn to you. Can I set this thing up at all? Do I really have to install security software on all devices in my house right now before I can set this router up? Or was I just dealing with a covert sales operation for Kaspersky or something?

I want to add that it's impossible to type text into the box here on this forum, and I've had no trouble like this at any other forum I go to, and this is not a good look for Netgear.     Just like your customer service.       I've typed it in notepad and pasted it in because the text box is working so poorly.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
microchip8
Master

You've been scammed. NETGEAR doesn't offer support but outsources to GearHead. Whatever site you found on the Web, it's a fake "support" site

To set up your router, connect a computer with a cable to it and use http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1

Also provide the router model and firmware version

Message 2 of 12
formerfan
Aspirant

If I have been scammed it was by using netgear's app. It put that phone number directly into my phone. This is terrible.

Message 3 of 12
formerfan
Aspirant

I should emphasize, I did not "find" this on the internet, this is specifically using the netgear nighthawk installation app.

Message 4 of 12
formerfan
Aspirant

I am thinking right now that I should not have any business dealings with a company that gives me an app where they try to make me buy 3rd party software as an "installer app" but I guess I have to get with the times.

Message 5 of 12
formerfan
Aspirant

I mean I just let a stranger with a thick Russian accent access any and everything on my computer because I trusted Netgear. I think this is really bad. Don't get me wrong, I love Russians, but I mean just the same ...

Message 6 of 12
formerfan
Aspirant

If I have been scammed,    what should I do now?

Message 7 of 12
formerfan
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply, BTW. I originally got on my phone, used the google search bar and asked for netgear nighthawk app, got a page about it, downloaded and installed the app. I assumed it was something netgear had something to do with. At this point I'm wondering if I should change all my passwords and have a nervous breakdown. Thanks a whole lot, netgear.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 12
microchip8
Master

If you got scammed and let others into your system(s), there's little you can do but a clean install on all systems

The NETGEAR app should not give you any URLs that are not associated with NETGEAR itself. Also, setting a router is best done using a wired connection and the Web UI of the router (see links in my first reply)

Message 9 of 12
formerfan
Aspirant

Thank you 

Well the netgear app didn't give me the link to www.support.me, the phone rep did. I got the phone rep because I was using the installer app and when it gave me an error code it put a phone number in my phone. I have looked at this app again and it gives VERY little info about itself. I did a voice search on my phone for "netgear nighthawk app" and only one hit came up, and so I used it. I think Netgear is apparently subbing out their customer support to some very unprofessional people, and I might not have any choice in the matter but to my mind, if they are using such people for the first-line customer support, they are not a company I should be relying on for professional results?

Message 10 of 12
formerfan
Aspirant

No, I'm sorry everybody,  it appears the "netgear installer app" was not from Netgear, I didn't examine it closely enough, god dammit

Message 11 of 12
microchip8
Master

The problem with NETGEAR is that there are many scam support sites out there claiming to be professional support for NETGEAR. Do not trap into that. They sometimes come advertising their sites here too. NG outsources support to GearHead. That's the only official support NG offers. All other sites are illegal but it seems NG can't do much about them or is not willing to.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7