Only system DNS calls being logged by OpenDNS

jbrasel
Aspirant

Only system DNS calls being logged by OpenDNS

I got Parental controls turned on and associcated it with an OpenDNS account to be able to log website traffic from the network. When the data started showing up, it's only showing DNS calls that look like they come from the router itself....netgear.com, time-c.netgear.com, updates.netgear.com and nothing else. There are numerous devices on the network whose browsing isn't being logged. I turned on keywork blocking as suggested in other posts and waited a day or two...but what I get is still the same. Am I missing a setting?

Thanks a ton in advance!!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
myersw
Master

Re: Only system DNS calls being logged by OpenDNS

By default all of the clients are pointing to the router for DNS queries. The router then makes the actual query to the openDNS in your case. OpenDNS will see the router as the requester and use the router's IP address and not the individual client. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 4
jbrasel
Aspirant

Thanks for the response!

I understand that all of the entries won't be accosicated to a device since all requests will be made via the IP of the router...but I'm not seeing a log of any traffic that doesn't look like it actually originated at the router itself, checking for updates, syncing time, etc... I went to a bunc of unique domains intentionally to see if they'd be logged from both a phone and windows laptop...but here's all I see in the log at OpenDNS:

1 www.netgear.com 18
2 http.fw.updates1.netgear.com 16
3 updates1.netgear.com 5
4 time-c.netgear.com 4
5 *.amazonaws.com 4
Message 3 of 4
jbrasel
Aspirant

Has anyone managed to successfully get DNS requests from devices on the network to be in the logs? I just want to make sure I'm not chasing a ghost here. Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E