Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OpenVPN 1.1.22 Android

Jfossy
Guide

OpenVPN 1.1.22 Android

Ever since The Android app of OpenVPN updated to 1.1.22 I can no longer connect to my router.  It give OpenVPN server certificate verification failed : mbed TLS: SSL read error : X509 - Certificate verification failed, e.g. CRL, CA or signature check failed

How do I make this work again?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Jfossy
Guide

Re: OpenVPN Connect 1.1.22

As as update 1.1.24 of OpenVPN Connect has fixed the solution.  According to the changelog though, they relaxed the certifaction validation in mbedTLS to allow certificates with broken date format to connect and re-enevabled depricated and INSECURE md5 signature algorithm.  SUpport for md5 will be officially dropped on April 31, 2018.

I'm not exactly sure which of the two caused the problem, if it's the later, I hope Netgear updates the OpenVPN server software in the a firmware update before then.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
cjghvieira
Tutor

Re: OpenVPN 1.1.22

Hi.

I've just updated the openvpn android app to 1.1.22 (build 89) and I'm getting exactly the same problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Carlos

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 9
thepretender
Tutor

Beside use older APK, you can consider try this solution from my post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Got-the-Nighthawk-VPN-Internet-Connection-to...

Message 3 of 9
cjghvieira
Tutor

Hi @thepretender.

Thanks for the help and the link.

I believe when I say that, speaking for @Jfossy if I may, we where using the OpenVPN Connect app. Please Jfossy correct me if I'm wrong. At least I was using that app.

Using the instructions on the link you send (with OpenVPN for Android app) I was able to connect to the vpn. Thank you again for the help.

Regards,

Carlos

Message 4 of 9
shamarin
Virtuoso

I get the same error after an update of OpenVPN on Android.

Message 5 of 9
thepretender
Tutor

Glad to help and got you going Carlos!
Message 6 of 9
Jfossy
Guide

Yes I was referring to the OpenVPN Connect App.  However, like you, using the other OpenVPN and the instructions, I am able to connect.  I just wish Netgear / OpenVPN Connect would get on the same page.

Message 7 of 9
python_1
Aspirant

This APK worked for me. Latest version before 1.22

https://www.apk4fun.com/link/185395/a/

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
Jfossy
Guide

Re: OpenVPN Connect 1.1.22

As as update 1.1.24 of OpenVPN Connect has fixed the solution.  According to the changelog though, they relaxed the certifaction validation in mbedTLS to allow certificates with broken date format to connect and re-enevabled depricated and INSECURE md5 signature algorithm.  SUpport for md5 will be officially dropped on April 31, 2018.

I'm not exactly sure which of the two caused the problem, if it's the later, I hope Netgear updates the OpenVPN server software in the a firmware update before then.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7