Re: OpenVPN configuration not adding the router IP or dynamic DNS name

reviewag
Aspirant

OpenVPN configuration not adding the router IP or dynamic DNS name

Hi Community,

Bought this router recently and NETGEAR support has been terrible wasting 2 hours on phone and hanging up on me. Before I give up and return this router back, will attempt asking here.

Got this router for OpenVPN to use while away. I enable VPN service and dynamic DNS and i confirmed i can reach the router (if I enable remote login).

I download the smartphone zip file and load it onto Iphone. OpenVPN Connect app sees only port number and fails to connect. Checking the files I See the line for remote has only the port number and no where it specifies the router WAN IP address or the dynamic DNS hostname for the router.

NETGEAR support seems to lose the details each time I upload on the case.

If anyone has seen this or point me to anything i could be missing, it is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
reviewag
Aspirant

For reference here is the ovpn file contents in the smartphone zip file

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote  12973
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
cipher XXX-XXX-XXX
comp-lzo
verb 5

Message 2 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi reviewag,

Did you follow the same configuration as the KB below?

https://kb.netgear.com/29783/How-do-I-use-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Android-device

Message 3 of 4
reviewag
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, 

I followed the same for all clients windows, android and iphone. All the .ovpn profiles always are missing the IP address or the hostname (dynamic dns) that was setup.  Any changes to port number does get reflected.

Without the host part in the ovpn all clients are unable to connect. Are there any other settings needed to get this OpenVPN to add it. 

I have tried erasing to factory reset and re-configuring again by first enabling dynamic DNS and saving it and restarting the router and then enable VPN. Always it ends up generting the .ovpn with missing hots or IP address for the 'remote <host/ip_address> <19273' line in the config.

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E