Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Optimal config for R7000 and VMDG490?

1eyedjack
Aspirant

Optimal config for R7000 and VMDG490?

Hello

I have been using R7000 for a while, and contrary to some other posters have been very happy with it (famous last words).

Virginmedia have recently "upgraded" my ISP connection and in the process replaced the existing modem with a model VMDG490, which I note is also a Netgear product, and which doubles as a wifi router.

I am reluctant (for now) to ditch the R7000, because l like some of its features not available in the VMDG490, such as USB port.

So, at the moment I have plugged the smart TV, the central heating, and the R7000 into the wired ethernet ports of the VMDG490, and am using the R7000 for all wireless applications and have a hard drive plugged into the R7000 USB port, and have switched off the 2.4G and 5G wireless on the VMDG490 as not required.

So far, so good, no problems.

The config settings on the VMDG490 allow me to switch it between "Router mode" and "Modem mode".  if I switch it to "modem mode then it disables the wifi and all of the ethernet ports bar one, which is used for the R7000 wifi router.  I would then have to plug the TV and central heating into the R7000 ethernet ports, which would not be a problem, but would it be an improvement?

In essence, is there any significant performance difference between (1) leaving the VMDG490 in "router mode" as above, or (2) switching to "modem mode" and handling everything through the R7000?  Instinctively I feel that sharing the load between the equipment ought to be optimal.  But it may make no difference at all.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Just as the modem has "modem mode" and "router mode", the R7000 also has "router mode" and "Access Point mode". When set as an access point, then it disables the routing functions, so all your are using it as is an ethernet hub/switch (by virtue of the 4 LAN ports) and wireless interface. When you do this, the modem does the routing. The R7000 does no routing, so DHCP, QoS, port forwarding, and other functions are not available.

Typically the R7000 does a better job of routing than most combined modem/router units, particularly those provided by the ISP, so it is usually preferable to have it do the routing. In order to prevent two routers (which can result in NAT problems) from being in the path, you would put your modem into modem only mode.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
1eyedjack
Aspirant

Looks like this message popped up in the wrong subforum.  Sorry about that. Don't quite know how it happened.  Hope it doesn't deter a response.

Message 2 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi 1eyedjack,

1.) There will be a significant difference when leaving the modem to router mode. You might get slight slow performance on the R7000 since there are two DHCP servers in the network. Devices connected to the modem will not be able to communicate with the devices connected to the R7000 since they are on different subnets.

2.) It is recommended to only use one DHCP server to manage the network. It's either you set the modem to modem only or set the R7000 to AP mode.

Message 3 of 5
1eyedjack
Aspirant

Hello

Thank you

What do you mean by AP mode?

Message 4 of 5
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Just as the modem has "modem mode" and "router mode", the R7000 also has "router mode" and "Access Point mode". When set as an access point, then it disables the routing functions, so all your are using it as is an ethernet hub/switch (by virtue of the 4 LAN ports) and wireless interface. When you do this, the modem does the routing. The R7000 does no routing, so DHCP, QoS, port forwarding, and other functions are not available.

Typically the R7000 does a better job of routing than most combined modem/router units, particularly those provided by the ISP, so it is usually preferable to have it do the routing. In order to prevent two routers (which can result in NAT problems) from being in the path, you would put your modem into modem only mode.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7