Optimal settings thread

suzook
Aspirant

Optimal settings thread

surprised not to see this (or I have missed it) but can we start a thread with optimal settings for new owners (like me) tweaks etc etc
Message 1 of 8
madhatter
Apprentice

Re: Optimal settings thread

On the 7000 default preamble is Long. On the 6300v1 default is Short... why the difference?
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 2 of 8
eXR3
Novice

madhatter wrote:
On the 7000 default preamble is Long. On the 6300v1 default is Short... why the difference?

Hello madhatter,

My R6300 default is Long Preamble.
Message 3 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

suzook wrote:
surprised not to see this (or I have missed it) but can we start a thread with optimal settings for new owners (like me) tweaks etc etc

Use the Advanced—Setup—LAN Setup--Address Reservation-- +Add screen to setup DHCP reservations for all your devices.

Setting up address reservations in the router and a static IP in my printer has solved problems for me. DHCP renewal is broken.

Un-checking Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence has given me higher connection speeds on the 2.4 GHz but I am limited to 50mbps on the internet so I don't see greater throughput to the internet.
Message 4 of 8
theoak
Luminary

If you transfer files internally on your network ... you could see much greater throughput device to device.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 5 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

The Auto Channel Select feature does not work yet. Recommend you set your channel for 2.4 GHz to something other than 1. I used the Genie application and found out most of the routers around me were using channels 1 and 11. I set mine to 5 and it has worked better for me. You might want to try channel 6.

Don't use the current Genie application. It has a bug that will crash the routers web interface and you will have to reboot the router in order to get it back. A new version should be released shortly.
Message 6 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

One more thing. Reboot your router after you change channels so that it will take effect.
Message 7 of 8
madhatter
Apprentice

eXR3 wrote:
Hello madhatter,

My R6300 default is Long Preamble.

thanks, that would explain it ... I feel dumb!
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E