Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Options to Connect D7000v2 to AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System

Adinis78
Aspirant

Options to Connect D7000v2 to AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System

Hello, so i am thinking of adding a Ubiquity AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System (https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-wi-fi-system) to my network and i am wondering what settings i need to change in my D7000v2. Also out of the 4 ports on the D7000v2, how many ports will still be functional and can i connect any other devices or would i need a switch? Essentially i want to still connect items to the D7000v2 via ethernet and use the AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System as my wireless access to phones/tablets.

Current equipment i have is the D7000v2 and Netgear 8 port switch. Thanks.
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 18

Re: Options to Connect D7000v2 to AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System

@Adinis78 wrote:
Hello, so i am thinking of adding a Ubiquity AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System

If this is a router, then you are adding a modem/router to a router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Message 2 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] i am wondering what settings i need to change in my D7000v2.
> [...]

It depends.

> [...] out of the 4 ports on the D7000v2, how many ports will still be
> functional and can i connect any other devices or would i need a
> switch? [...]

It depends.

https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us
      https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/219074127

You almost certainly want one router, not more.  If you want to use
the D7000v2 as your router, then you'd need to disable the router
functions of the AmpliFi system.  That way, the D7000v2 would operate as
before.

You could, instead (probably[*]), configure the D7000v2 as a modem
only, and use the AmpliFi router as your router.  That way, the only
client device which you could connect to the D7000v2 would be the
AmpliFi router.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Use the Modem
Router as a DSL Modem Only".

[*] If you use a DSL service which uses PPPoA (rather than PPPoE),
then you may need to leave the D7000v2 as a modem+router.

Message 3 of 18
Adinis78
Aspirant

> You could, instead (probably[*]), configure the D7000v2 as a modem

If i setup the D7000v2 as a modem, which i am ok with that, will i loose the functionality of its ethernet ports? Essentially i dont want the D7000v2 to transmit its wireless signal, thats what the AmpliFi will be used for, but i would like to use the extra D7000v2 ethernet ports, otherwise i have the Netgear switch.
Message 4 of 18
antinode
Guru

> If i setup the D7000v2 as a modem, which i am ok with that, will i
> [lose] the functionality of its ethernet ports?

All but the one.

> [...] That way, the only client device which you could connect to the
> D7000v2 would be the AmpliFi router.

Still true.

> Essentially i dont want the D7000v2 to transmit its wireless signal,
> thats what the AmpliFi will be used for, but i would like to use the
> extra D7000v2 ethernet ports, [...]

In the words of the philosopher Jagger, "You can't always get what
you want."

If you want to use the modem in the D7000v2, then you can use its
router section or not.  If you want to connect its modem to another
router, then that's all you can do with it.

Message 5 of 18
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Leave the D7000v2 as a modem/router and shut off the wifi radios on the D7000v2. Put the Ampli-Fi in Acceess Point (AP) mode (this should shut off the router function in the Ampli-Fi, but you'll still need to set the wifi SSID's and security, probably WPA2-PSK, for your wifi network in the Ampli-Fi) and connect the Ampli-Fi to one of the ethernet ports on the D7000v2. The other 3 ports on the D7000v2 are still usable for whatever you want.

Message 6 of 18
antinode
Guru

> Leave the D7000v2 as a modem/router [...]

As already explained, that's one of the options.

> [...] Put the Ampli-Fi in Acceess Point (AP) mode [...]

Which, as the previously cited AmpliFi documents would suggest, they
call "bridge mode".

Message 7 of 18
Adinis78
Aspirant

Thank you all foe your help. Seems like the best option is to set my D7000v2 as a modem and have the AmpliFi HD serve as my router and wifi. Here is hoping everything goes smoothly.
Message 8 of 18

@Adinis78 wrote:
Thank you all foe your help. Seems like the best option is to set my D7000v2 as a modem and have the AmpliFi HD serve as my router and wifi.

That is probably the best option, as long as the routery bits of the AmpliFi are better than you get from the D7000v2.

The D7000v2 is easily "bridged". Look at the section in the manual:

Use the Modem Router as a DSL Modem Only

I chip in only to pass on some experience from when I put a D6400 into modem only mode. When the power went down, fortunately a rare event these days, the network failed to restart as it should.

The modem has to come in and get an Internet connection before the router tries to get on line. In my case, the D6400 took so long that the router had timed out before it could find the Internet.

My solution was to buy a modem only device (DM200), but these are now impossible to get new. (I recently bought a second open box DM200 that looked unused, so they are out there.)

If all goes well this is not an issue, but you might like to bear it in mind if you come home and find a dead network. You could even do some quick tests to see if your arrangement is likely to suffer from this issue. If so, at least you know enough not to panic.

Message 9 of 18
Adinis78
Aspirant

< That is probably the best option, as long as the routery bits of the AmpliFi are better than you get from the D7000v2.

The D7000v2 is easily "bridged". Look at the section in the manual:

Use the Modem Router as a DSL Modem Only

I chip in only to pass on some experience from when I put a D6400 into modem only mode. When the power went down, fortunately a rare event these days, the network failed to restart as it should.

The modem has to come in and get an Internet connection before the router tries to get on line. In my case, the D6400 took so long that the router had timed out before it could find the Internet.

My solution was to buy a modem only device (DM200), but these are now impossible to get new. (I recently bought a second open box DM200 that looked unused, so they are out there.)

If all goes well this is not an issue, but you might like to bear it in mind if you come home and find a dead network. You could even do some quick tests to see if your arrangement is likely to suffer from this issue. If so, at least you know enough not to panic.
<

I figured might as well and try and use the D7000v2 since i have it, i also have BT’s own hub but nothing compared to the D7000v2.

Another option i was looking at was to go with a modem only device, like Draytek Vigor 130, but that would mean an extra purchase.
Message 10 of 18

@Adinis78 wrote:

Another option i was looking at was to go with a modem only device, like Draytek Vigor 130, but that would mean an extra purchase.

No need for that if you don't hit the problems I described. I just wanted to alert you to prevent premature heart attacks.

DSL modem only devices are gradually disappearing. And the price of that thing is silly. Twice what I paid for the open box DM200. (Available in the usual places.)

DSL ISPs are going down the same road as cable operators, locking out the use of third party hardware. They also like providing combined modem/router boxes that you cannot use in modem only mode.

The fact that experienced users prefer separate modems and routers – more control and better choice of features – does not influence them.

Message 11 of 18
Adinis78
Aspirant

So keep an eye out for power outages and make sure the modem is on first before the router? I always turn off my internet at night (wife’s demands) and in the morning i just turn it back on. So when i do get the Amplifi HD and everything is set up i need to remember to turn on the D7000v2 first, wait then turn on the AmpliFi HD. 🥺
Message 12 of 18

@Adinis78 wrote:
So keep an eye out for power outages and make sure the modem is on first before the router?

Absolutely. There is a strict running order for these things. People turn up here too often with problems because they got it wrong.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn on modem. Wait ~2 minutes for it to connect. (Look at the lights.)
  • Turn on the router and wait ~2 minutes for it connect.(Look at the lights.)
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

@Adinis78 wrote:
I always turn off my internet at night (wife’s demands) and in the morning i just turn it back on.

I suppose it is one way of keeping you off the wifi at night, but it is not recommended best practice, for various reasons.

It wouldn't work here, I have far too much IoT (Internet of trash) stuff that won't work off line. All those security cameras and overnight backup operations.

Message 13 of 18
Adinis78
Aspirant

< Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn on modem. Wait ~2 minutes for it to connect. (Look at the lights.)
Turn on the router and wait ~2 minutes for it connect.(Look at the lights.)
Turn on computers and rest of network>

Will have to remember this. Thank you very much for your help. 🙏
Message 14 of 18

Actually, it would be interesting to know if you need that routine.

In my case it was because of the combination of modem/router and router. You might not be necessary.

Message 15 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] There is a strict running order for these things. [...]

There is?  If there were such a "strict running order" for these
things, then I'd expect to see (overpriced) Power Sequencers sold as
accessories, on the store shelf next to the modems.  Because, with such
a "strict running order", a significant fraction of the Internet users
in the world would be annoyed with some significant frequency.

I'd run the experiment before starting my own search for such a
_crucial_ product.  If your equipment gets confused when it's all
powered up simultaneously, then you might want to worry a little about
sequencing.

> The D7000v2 is easily "bridged". Look at the section in the manual:

Geez.  Why didn't I think to suggest that?  Oh, wait...

Message 16 of 18
w3wilkes
Prodigy

If you ever need to take it out of Bridged mode you have to factory reset and then you can access it with the default user and password.

Message 17 of 18

@w3wilkes wrote:

If you ever need to take it out of Bridged mode you have to factory reset and then you can access it with the default user and password.

Excellent point. One that belongs in the list of things to remember so that you don't panic when the thing throws a wobbly. (That's a technical term.)

Once a modem/router is in modem only mode it is hard, if not impossible, to get at from the router's network.

Unfortunately, the manuals for modem/routers are silent on the topic.

It is slightly easier if you have a modem only box, but you still have to jump through various hoops, like playing with a PC's IP address.

This issue is one reason why it makes sense to ensure that you have the latest firmware on the modem/router before you put the thing into modem only mode. Then again, if it is in modem mode, how important is it to keep the firmware up to date? After all, won't the router be handling stuff where security issues rear their head?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7