Orange/ Amber light for Internet

Megajoe
Aspirant

Orange/ Amber light for Internet

Hi Everyone.

I recently tried to set up a new modem in preparation for NBN. After I had difficulties with the Nighthawk router trying to connect to it, I reverted back to the original modem. During the process I reset the router, (Nighthawk) to factory settings. 

I have downloaded and installed the upgrade but I still can't get an internet connection through the router. The modem that the router is plugged into, (the same modem that it has always been connected to prior to the factory reset), has a connection to the internet.

Please help.

Regards,

Joe

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 13

Re: Orange/ Amber light for Internet

What hardware are we talking about here? The modem? The router?

Is the Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0 listed in your footer involved in this in anyway? Or did you just click the first thing that popped up when you wrote your message?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 13
Chasmo
Aspirant

I have the very same problem as the person stated in this post. Brand new AC1000. When connected to a known good signal from a modem, router indicates no Internet. Have orange light. Have checked and double-checked everything...cables, rebooted modem, router, etc. mutiple times. Successfully went through the router setup. 

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 13

@Chasmo wrote:

I have the very same problem as the person stated in this post.

Possibly. But many things can cause those symptoms.

AC1000 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

R6080?

What hardware are we talking about here? The modem? The router?

See above. 

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 13
labatt
Prodigy

There is a step by step process that should be followed when either a new modem or router are put in place. Not sure from above that has been followed.

Start by powering off both the modem and router. 

Now power up just the modem and let it stabilize, about 5 minutes in most cases. Can tell by lights. 

Now power up the router. When the router is fully up it should be connected to the modem and Internet. 

Give the above a try. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 5 of 13
Chasmo
Aspirant

Amber Internet light on Model R6080 router, thus no wifi. Signal from modem is known good.

Thank you, Michael, for your reply. Model R6080 brand new router indicates no Internet via an orange light when connected to a known good signal from the modem. Thus, have no wifi. I have checked all cables, rebooted the modem and router multiple times. Have successfully completed the router setup. I have no idea about the firmware and such. 

Thanks, community, for your help.

Message 6 of 13
Chasmo
Aspirant

Thank you, Labatt. I have carried out this procedure many times to no avail.

Message 7 of 13

Re: Amber Internet light on Model R6080 router, thus no wifi. Signal from modem is known good.

@Chasmo wrote:

....brand new router indicates no Internet via an orange light when connected to a known good signal from the modem. .

Is it really impossible for you to tell us what the modem is?

This is an important part of the chain that gets you on to the Internet.

The orange light you see is a sign that the R6080 is not connecting through the modem.

You have hijacked the discussion started by @Megajoe so things can get confusing. It is also against the rules for this place. (Usually the best strategy is to start your own discussion.)

@Megajoe says they have got the modem connected to the Internet. How about you?

Can you plug your PC into the modem – put the router to the side for the time being – and confirm that it connects? Then, and only then, move on to the router.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 13
Chasmo
Aspirant

Re: Amber Internet light on Model R6080 router, thus no wifi. Signal from modem is known good.

I am sorry Micheal that I am not meeting the standards and rules of the community help. I am very new at this. I humbly apologize, and I couldn't blame you if you kicked me off or abandoned me.  I stated previously that the router was connected to a known good source as indicated in my subject line and restated later in the body. I should have elaborated a bit. The reason I said was known good signal was that I can connect my PC directly to the modem (Motorola Surfboard, model SB5101U...it has only one output port) and everything works fine at full speed. The modem is connected directly to the Internet by coaxial cable. Further, an Internet phone works perfectly when connected directly to the modem. When I connect the router to the modem and then the PC to one of the ports on the router, I have no wifi or PC connectivity. All is down. Thank you for your kind patience with me.

Charles

Message 9 of 13

@Chasmo wrote:

I am sorry Micheal that I am not meeting the standards and rules of the community help. I am very new at this. I humbly apologize, and I couldn't blame you if you kicked me off or abandoned me. 

Believe me, no one is trying to trip anyone up, simply to get to the bottom of an issue, but it gets exasperating when you have to ask for information several times.

@Chasmo wrote:

I stated previously that the router was connected to a known good source as indicated in my subject line and restated later in the body.

The phrase "signal is known good" in the subject – completely different from the message that started this conversation – does not tell us about the Internet connection.

For example, I have a DSL service. If I plug the modem it into the telephone socket, it can happily detect the DSL signal and change to the right colour. Sadly, this does not mean that the modem is connected to the internet.

When I have got the signal, I then have to login to sign into the internet.

Terminology matters because we need to know what is going on.

@Chasmo wrote:

The reason I said was known good signal was that I can connect my PC directly to the modem (Motorola Surfboard, model SB5101U...it has only one output port) and everything works fine at full speed.

This is the information that we needed from the start, and is suggested in Netgear's advice on asking for help.

You do not have a modem/router, a device that could have caused the issues that you see. Again, information that could have made this a shorter conversation.

You said earlier "Successfully went through the router setup."

Now, don't get me wrong, but that leaves unanswered questions. For a start, what does it mean?

If you "Successfully went through the router setup" then the last step is a test of the Internet connection that takes you to the Netgear site. If it really was successful, then you are connected. If you are not connected to the Internet it wasn't successful.

Do you see my problem?

Just another user.

Message 10 of 13
Megajoe
Aspirant

Hi. Thanks for respondinding.

It is definitely that model and it is a router. It is plugged into my Telstra modem.

Thanks

Message 11 of 13
Megajoe
Aspirant

This is the model of Telstra modem

Message 12 of 13

@Megajoe wrote:

This is the model of Telstra modem

The DJN2130.

Your ISP makes it difficult to work out what that thing has. I had to spend some time searching to pin down anything useful. No helpful pictures of the thing. But from what I see, this is a "gateway" that is also a router. Does it have a row of LAN ports on the back?

If so, this suggests that your issue is almost certainly different from the "very same problem" that @Chasmo claimed.

If your modem is a router.modem, then you have two routers on the network, the DJN2130 and the R7000. (Pity you picked the A7000 USB Adapter as the device you own.)

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the DJN2130 modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the R7000 as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In your case, I would start by seeking advice on how to put the DJN2130 into bridge mode.

Start here:

DJN2130 bridge mode - Google Search

And remember to go through the routine that @labatt spelled out, and in the correct order. It is important.

Good luck, you may need it.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements