Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orange / Red light on my netgear nighthawk router

SteffJay1
Follower

Orange / Red light on my netgear nighthawk router

I have connected another pc to the router and the router is giving the pc a ip address of 192.168.x.x. The pc is working well and is able to get onto the net etc. However, there is a red light showing on the router rj45 where the pc is connected to. The ethernet card it is using is a RTL8139. Red light port 2Red light port 2

Can anyone give me a solution to this pleasse?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orange / Red light on my netgear nighthawk router

Hi SteffJay1, 

If the device you connected is only capable of 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN connection, the LAN port lights amber to show that it is connected at a slower speed than what is supported by the router. If your device has a Gigabit Ethernet port, the LAN port lights white.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

The amber light is usually an indication of a 100Mbs connection as opposed to a white light for a 1Gbs connection.

As long as the other PC has access to the internet, three quick things you can do.

Try another ethernet cable to rule out a bad cable.

Make sure the other PC has a 1Gbs network interface card.

Make sure the other PC has the latest drivers installed for the network interface card.

Message 2 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi SteffJay1, 

If the device you connected is only capable of 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN connection, the LAN port lights amber to show that it is connected at a slower speed than what is supported by the router. If your device has a Gigabit Ethernet port, the LAN port lights white.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7