Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 Security Issue

islandsfu
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 Security Issue

On my security tab someone has somehow changed the email that my Orbi RBR20 system is registered under (which I bought new). Has my network been hacked and how to I fix this?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Orbi RBR20 Security Issue

@islandsfu wrote:
On my security tab someone has somehow changed the email that my Orbi RBR20 system is registered under (which I bought new). 

Which security tab is that? Tell us where to find it. Browser? Mobile app?

The fact that a device is "registered" to an email adress doesn't mean much. 

@islandsfu wrote:
Has my network been hacked and how to I fix this?

Unlikely. But we need to know more.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@islandsfu wrote:
On my security tab someone has somehow changed the email that my Orbi RBR20 system is registered under (which I bought new). Has my network been hacked and how to I fix this?

Message 3 of 7
islandsfu
Aspirant

Nope. I have tried everything but the email associated with my security tab remains someone else's. I believe it is on Netgear's side as I have exhausted all angles on mine.
Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, but it is not clear to me what you mean by "Security Tab".

Is this the panel on the Orbi "app" titled Security?

Is it on a page in the Orbi web interface?

Message 5 of 7
islandsfu
Aspirant

Yes, the security tab on the app. Which means I cannot access that part at all - and also means the Bitdefender i paid for is not being attributed to my account.
Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks, sorry for my confusion. I have never activated Bitdefender.

Since this is a subscription service, perhaps a link on this page will help:

https://kb.netgear.com/000063635/How-do-I-get-help-with-my-NETGEAR-subscription-service?language=en_... 

If that does not, the only process that seems to help in these situations is to send a private message to one of the forum moderators by clicking on their screen name (users with that 'capital N' after their screen name) and provide information that should not be posted on a public forum. i.e. who you really are, how to contact you, and the specifics of the problem (device model and serial number, date you signed up for Armor, what this bogus email address is, etc.)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7