Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 loses internet connection minutes after factory reset

apetrov
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 loses internet connection minutes after factory reset

I have Orbi router RBR40 with 2 Orbi Wall Plug Satellites (RBW30). Recently it lost my internet connection (even though I could connect via the cable). 

I talked to my ISP support and they confirmed that there are no issues on their side. I tried multiple things, including:

1) Disconnecting sattelites

2) Reseting the router

3) Updating the firmware

4) Switching router to AP mode

My provider's support told me that they saw issues with Mesh systems before, when they randomly switch from Router mode into Bridge or AP mode:

Mesh systems that are configured as a router pose no issues, it is when
> they get an update in the middle of the night or they reboot and flip
> into BRIDGE or ACCESS POINT mode that we see issues.

I'm almost certain that Orbi wouldn't do that - I've never noticed that it switched modes or something else.

I even bought a new router which worked fine. However, my Orbi magically started working a week after that, so I returned new one to the store.

A month after, my Orbi broke again. No issues on provider's side. I was able to get it working after factory reset, but it broke again after few hours. I tried again, and it broke in an hour. Tried again, and now it loses the connection minutes after the factory reset, so I can't even finish configuring the router. 

One thing I noticed right after the reset - I was able to only connect to google, and that's it. But during the router set up the entire internet connection is lost.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
apetrov
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR40 loses internet connection minutes after factory reset

I looks like the issue was with my internet provider. I had to put my router under firewall or connect to another router.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
apetrov
Aspirant

I looks like the issue was with my internet provider. I had to put my router under firewall or connect to another router.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7