Orbi with XR500 - 1 SSID

FranzFudd
Follower

Orbi with XR500 - 1 SSID

I live on the side of a hill with the office being a seperate building over the garage and the house another 40 stirs up the hill but only 10 meters away. We are enjoying our Orbi system with 1 Router and 2 satellites. However I need a router with more functionality like the XR500. Is it possible to combine the wifi to form one single wifi network? I would like to have the XR500 down in the office and move one of the satellites up to the house. What would be the way to go about do this to avoid having 2 wifi networks? 

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Orbi with XR500 - 1 SSID

@FranzFudd wrote:

However I need a router with more functionality like the XR500. Is it possible to combine the wifi to form one single wifi network?

With two routers, you should put one into wireless access point mode.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I have an R7800 (same hardware as the XR500 but with a different operating system) working as a router and then have an Orbi system running as an AP.

I connect the Orbi to the R7800 with Powerline Ethernet. But that will only work if the house and office are on the same mains circuit.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E