Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ordered a Nighthawk R7000, which firmware to use?

Xenokai
Aspirant

Ordered a Nighthawk R7000, which firmware to use?

I wanna note that I don't have the router yet but its on the way in the mail to me.  I purchased it to use with my fiber optics connection that is planned to be installed by the end of the year.  I can use it with my old crappy DSL until then tho.

I have few Questions.....   Does the Nighthawk R7000 have diffrent versions,  I know previous routers ive had use to have xxxxxxxxv2 or v3.  Ive not seen anything on this router having diffrent versions?  I ask because I wanna make sure I get a fully supported official firmware download since I always manually install router updates due to issues with routers built in auto updates in the past.   Just don't wanna get a firmware thats not compatible.

Also I wanna say, I started using netgear routers/gateways around 3 years ago and Im sold on netgear for life.  Never seen such solid routers!  My Linksys and DLink experiances were not fun. Hope this purchase is a good choice,  I did alot of research before deciding on it.   I managed to get it New online for $120 shipped.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Ordered a Nighthawk R7000, which firmware to use?

AFAIK, there is only one version.  My R7000 is over 2 years ago and still going strong.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

AFAIK, there is only one version.  My R7000 is over 2 years ago and still going strong.

Message 2 of 14
Xenokai
Aspirant

Alright thanks!   thats good to know.  Ive seen so many reviews of it and people still praise it.

Message 3 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Yeah, this model still hits the sweet spot in terms of bang for the buck.  When it works, it works well.  Unfortunately, the firmware saga has been less than glorious.  Netgear stumbled with the last few releases, so you won't find universal praise for the R7000, here.  From what I've heard, the latest official release (1.0.7.2 as of this post) appears to be stable.  I'm currently using 3rd party firmware, so I can't provide any firsthand opinions of it.

Message 4 of 14
netwrks
Master

Same as TheEther. I have 3 7000's running 3rd party firmware all in AP mode. I ran the latest fw  (1.0.7.2) a couple of weeks back on a 7000 in AP mode, for a couple of days. Overall it ran ok. WIFI was good. No problems with Android or Apple devices connecting to wifi.  As usual, stock firmware is lack lustre, with minimal settings - minimal logging. Not really sure if Netgear is running Broadcom's version of CTF, or their own implementation.  It would become evident (CTF) when you are running 300+ Mbps on the WAN. Worst case, there are 3rd party firmware alternatives.

Message 5 of 14
microchip8
Master

I'm on Tomato and am very happy with it. Offers everything I need and more. Might wanna try it if you feel like. It's the only open source firmware that offers CTF, for if you have a fat pipe

Message 6 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Asuswrt-Merlin also supports CTF.
Message 7 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

OP, first thing in order is when you receive the router just make sure every thing works fine the way you expected. Then think

about upgrading firmware or trying 3rd party ones. Quite a while back I had R7000, I liked it then with Kong's dd-wrt.  ATM,

I am using R7800 or Asus RT-AC3100 with a 8 port dumb switch, while one is on the air, the other one is stand-by spare unit I like them both, very stable routers.

Message 8 of 14
microchip8
Master

@TheEther

yes, but the version for the R7000 is NOT open source

Message 9 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Xenokai wrote:

Just don't wanna get a firmware thats not compatible.

1.0.4.30 ............If netgear had stopped making FW after it, they would had been better off.

Message 10 of 14
Xenokai
Aspirant

Just got it in the mail,  updated to v1.0.7.2.  Update went smooth and after doing it i factory reset with the GUI and then once again with the button since I heard its best to factory reset after a firmware update on this router.     Weird thing is i wont be using the router until i get my new fiber connection in a month or 2.   Don't even wanna waste my time using this on my  DSL. lol

Message 11 of 14
RMinNJ
Luminary

I'm still running..1,0.4.30_1.1.67  ...what the router came with.

Its working fine... not sure if I should upgrade to the latest or just leave it alone.

Message 12 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

In my opinion NG has NO update after 1.0.4.30  but Xwrt-Vortex does. 

Almost forgot You'd better start using it NOW! Because if you find out later it sucks you're stuck with it.

Message 13 of 14
Kitsap
Master

I took a brand new one out of the box three weeks ago.  Bought it from Amazon.  The first thing I did was use the built in feature to download and update to the latest firmware (V1.0.7.2_1.1.93).  Still using the Netgear firmware, may or may not change in the future.

Connected to a good Comcast gateway (Cisco 3941T).  Wired download speeds through the router average 175 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up for both IPV4 and IPV6.  The same speeds test out for the 5 GHz wireless.  The 2.4 GHz wireless tests out at 120 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up for both IPV4 and IPV6.

No complaints here.  My primary reason for purchasing this specific router was the out of the box OpenVPN feature.  So far it works flawlessly.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7