Texasgrillchef
Aspirant

Outdoor Network, Equipment?

I am currently using a R7000 router. Love it.

I live in Texas on a ranch with 687acres of rolling hill lands. The router does a great job giving me WiFi around my house and even for a ways outside my house. Since the R7000 has attenae that are removable I have installed several higher dB gain antennae. They work like a charm throught my house and even a ways outside.

However... What I want to do, is provide WiFi access around the ranch at various locations as well as my "private" road. providing power is NOT a problem, nor is providing a location that would protect any hardware from natural elements.

Are there any recomendations? I don't need the entire acreage to be WiFi, although it would be nice.

About 1200 feet from the house, I do have a 3 story barn, that I could put an omni direction antenae, or even directional antenae as well. The Barn has power. About 2100 feet from the barn is the 3rd location that I want to have WiFi. This location is 2100 feet from the barn, but only 1800 feet from the house. (Form a Triangle)

If possible I would like to have dual band wifi at all three location and within the Triangle.

I have a budjet of $5,000

TGC
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Outdoor Network, Equipment?

You need a way to connect the 3 locations, either with fiber, coax or a point to point microwave two way link.

This alone will be very expensive you might be better off contacting an engineering firm to have them draw up a design and BOM.

I don't think $5000 is a realistic number. You might try using several modem cards from a cell carrier and place them in Routers designed to work with those cards.

Cradle point makes routers which use mobile broadband cards which could be installed at these locations or in vehicles.
Message 2 of 8
Shadowlore
Guide

What you'd be interested in, is wireless repeaters.

Depending on your line of sight, and terrain, you might be able to cover a decent range by attaching a handful of repeaters to the base unit, creating a bit of a mesh.

We did this on a golf resort a few years back, and found we could get about 500ft from each location without resorting to a directional (yagi) antenna.

The biggest problem we had, was getting power to the midway sections. When all was said and done, we had about 75% of the complex covered in wireless, and it ran about $8k for everything... of course, we were also a bit redundant with our connectivity.

I will also point out, that you will likely NOT get 5ghz coverage in that range without installing a ton of access points.
~ Shadowlore
Message 3 of 8
Texasgrillchef
Aspirant

Shadowlore,

Did your $8k include the cost of running power or not?

I allready have power at the barn, and the other location. So providing electricity is not the problem at all.

TGC
Message 4 of 8
YfoogMai
Aspirant

searay wrote:
.... You might try using several modem cards from a cell carrier and place them in Routers designed to work with those cards.

Cradle point makes routers which use mobile broadband cards which could be installed at these locations or in vehicles.

Alternative to Cradlepoint using two devices. A mobile 4G LTE Hotspot might be better portable Wi-Fi device to use.

NETGEAR® Zing Mobile Hotspot™
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc7550006prd&deviceSKUId=75500188&flo...

Or for a fixed cellular router, take a look at NETGEAR® LTE Gateway 6100D
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc8040009prd&deviceSKUId=80400440&flo...
http://support.sprint.com/support/device/Netgear/NETGEARreg_LTE_Gateway_6100D-dvc8040009prd
Message 5 of 8
Shadowlore
Guide

Texasgrillchef wrote:
Shadowlore,

Did your $8k include the cost of running power or not?

I allready have power at the barn, and the other location. So providing electricity is not the problem at all.

TGC

It included SOME power runs through insulated conduit.... the golf course was still in development so trenching wasn't a problem in a few areas. The other areas had power already.
~ Shadowlore
Message 6 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

There must be a lot of outdoor access points to choose from. I don't have experience with any of them but would recommend you look at the reviews on Newegg and Amazon. Here is one from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168106
Message 7 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements