Re: PS3 Media Server on R7000

NGR7000USER
Aspirant

PS3 Media Server on R7000

PS3 Media Server on my old Actiontec gateway worked fine connected via CAT 6 cable to my PS3. When I replaced the router with the R7000, the PS3 is no longer able to find the media server. Do I just need to re-install PS3 Media Server, or is there some router options (e.g. firewall) that I need to change for the PS3 to be able to see the media server?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What modem are you using? I ask to be sure you're not placing 7000 behind another modem router combo.

If it's a true modem, not a combo try reinstalling PS3 Media Server. Set to Home Network too in PC sharing center.
Message 2 of 10
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

I never could get my Actiontec Gateway configured right as a bridge for the R7000, so I am using an old (never used before) Speedstream 4100 modem. I'll give the re-install a try.
Message 3 of 10
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

Well, still no luck with the PS3 seeing PS3 Media Server. I uninstalled PS3 Media Server (including closing the service in the task manager), re-installed, and still nothing. I did notice with the re-install that is remembered the paths I set up to my drives, so there is something sticking around somewhere on the drive that is preventing a fully fresh re-install of the program. I did manually delete the PS3 Media Server folder from the PC drive in the process above as well.
Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Is the Play station connected via wireless.

Many users of the r7000 have complained about wired not seeing wireless devices and vise versa
Message 5 of 10
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

Hmm...both the "media server" (Windows Desktop) and the PS3 are wired to the router. The Desktop is connected to "1" and PS3 to "2".

PS3 Media Server appears to show that it is running with a big green check mark,
Message 6 of 10
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

For what it's worth, the PS3 Media Server status page (with the check mark) lists: unknown renderer and WMP as the only two "detected media renderers" with no PS3 shown.
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Your another test is run ethernet cable to two devices and setup static IP. Make sure still work fine.... just to rule out that router still an issues despite both are using ethernet cable to the router 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 10
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

After some Googling for PS3 Media Server issues, I finally got the PS3 to recognize the media server. What I did was:

1. Do as complete of an uninstall as I could of PS3 Media server (close any related processes in the task manager, run its uninstall.exe, search and delete "pms.conf", and then run the registry cleaner in my CCleaner progam).
2. Followed the clean install instructions to include runningn PS3 Media Server as a service using the instructions at: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7226 .
3. BINGO! Now things are back to normal.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the R7000 or just needed to wipe and reinstall (including the conf file)--making sure to install as a service.
Message 9 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Great to hear that.. enjoy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 10