Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PW won't work

Octomonkey
Aspirant

PW won't work

I had to do a factory reset (very long story) and after that was done I went to the 192. etc IP address listed in the netgear manual. I changed my admin pw, then I changed my device pw. I restarted the nighthawk, restarted my computer. I can see that the new name I gave the device showing up in my drop down so I know I "saved" my changes. But when I try to join the device network, it tells me my new pw is wrong. I can see the pw on the screen of the device so I know it is NOT wrong. I tried the factory reset pw and that won't work either. Now I cannot get the mobile app to work and when I try to access the 192.etc IP address that is listed in the manual on the netgear site, it leads to a verizon mifi webpage (which is mysterious since my device is an At&T). 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Octomonkey
Aspirant

Thanks! I've gotten it working again after clearing it all and starting over.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

@Octomonkey wrote:

I changed my admin pw, then I changed my device pw.

The admin password is the one that gets you into the browser graphical user interface (GUI). It has no use for anything else.

The other passwords you can change are for the wifi from the router.

What is this "device"? Some sort of wifi thing? A PC?

@Octomonkey wrote:

I restarted the nighthawk, restarted my computer. I can see that the new name I gave the device showing up in my drop down so I know I "saved" my changes.

What is this "dropdown"? Something to do with the wifi on this "device"?

If we are talking about wifi, then that uses the wifi password, not the router's admin password.

@Octomonkey wrote:

.....when I try to access the 192.etc IP address that is listed in the manual on the netgear site, it leads to a verizon mifi webpage (which is mysterious since my device is an At&T). 

The 192.etc IP address – the full address might be helpful – won't go to any webpage. It just gets you to the device's GUI. If it takes you to a "mifi webpage", that suggests that you have something else on your network, maybe a second router.

By the way, it may not matter, but you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for the MR1100:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

No need to repost there, unless you want to – that will just clutter up the place with duplicated messages – but you might find advice related to your hardware.

Message 2 of 6
Octomonkey
Aspirant

Hi michaelkenward,

Thanks for the info. By "device" I mean my Nighthawk which I renamed from the alphanumeric string from the factory to my own name so it's easier to identify. By "dropdown" I mean the drop down menu on my computer that shows all available wifi routers, and where I can select my own (rather than my neighbor's or a public wifi). I assigned both a new admin pw and a new wifi pw on the 192IP page (to overwrite the factory defaults for each).  Thanks for the  tip on the IP address--it was picking up my Verizon Jetpack rather than my At&T Nighthawk--I had both on since I had to keep turning off the Nighthawk to open and get at the factory reset. I'm one step closer!

Message 3 of 6

@Octomonkey wrote:

By "device" I mean my Nighthawk which I renamed from the alphanumeric string from the factory to my own name so it's easier to identify.

What did you change? The SSID? The password? Both?

If you reused an existing SSID, then you may need to tell the PC to forget that connection and recreate it from scratch.

@Octomonkey wrote:

Thanks for the  tip on the IP address--it was picking up my Verizon Jetpack rather than my At&T Nighthawk--I had both on since I had to keep turning off the Nighthawk to open and get at the factory reset.

Not sure how that works, but try to avoid having two routers on the network. That way chaos lies. Unless you know what you are doing.

Message 4 of 6
Octomonkey
Aspirant

Thanks! I've gotten it working again after clearing it all and starting over.

Message 5 of 6

Fantastic! Let's hope it sticks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7