Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Packet Loss involving R7800, Synergy and Killer 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

DeadL
Aspirant

Packet Loss involving R7800, Synergy and Killer 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

Hello,

I've noticed whenever I'm using using 'Synergy' to access my Laptop, there is a large increase in dropped packets happening in my 'ping -t google.com' command.

(Synergy allows you to use a computers mouse+ keyboard to access/control another networked computer.)

The Setup:

R7800

Tested with both v1.0.2.04 and the v1.0.2.28 drivers.

Desktop Computer:

Windows 10: version 1703

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 driver version 19.50.1.5

Synergy Server

Laptop:

Windows 10: version 1607

Killer Wireless n/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter using Qualcomm Atheros driver version 12.0.0.307 (I have also tried driver 12.0.0.296)

Synergy Client

The Desktop and Laptop computers are both connecting to the Router via wifi.

I noticed latency spikes, so I decided to run 'ping -t google.com' on the Laptop(client to be controlled) to monitor for any latency spikes or dropped packets. Whenever I move my Desktops mouse over to the Laptop screen, using Synergy, the constant pinging of google will show packet loss / 'Request time outs'. The effect is worse if I do a lot of quick mouse movements or navigation of folders on the Client machine. In this setup, I only see packet loss on the Laptop.

I have using several different setups:

Laptop Wired to Router, Desktop Wireless to Router

Laptop Wireless to Router, Desktop Wired to Router

Laptop Wired to Router, Desktop Wired to Router

Laptop Wireless to Router, Desktop Wireless to Router <-- This setup is where I see the dropped packets.

I have tried using a different Router, a Linksys WRT3200ACM and didn't see the issue.

I have tried using a different Laptop, one using an Intel 8265 wireless card and saw no issue here.

I see packet loss ONLY whenever I use my Laptop, (with a Killer 1535 wifi card), wirelessly connecting to an R7800; and the Computer also connecting wirelessly to that R7800.

If I change out the Killer 1535 wifi card, or the R7800, Synergy works fine without packet loss. The other solution would be to have one of the computers connected to the Router via Ethernet, but I would rather not do that, yet.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing that?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DeadL
Aspirant

Re: Packet Loss involving R7800, Synergy and Killer 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

Thank you for the quick reply!

I took a look at my Router settings and it looked like everything was already setup similar to your suggestions. Upon further investigation I found that the Router has QoS enabled for Wireless traffic on by default. (At least it was on for me, for some reason).

The settings are located at:

192.168.1.1 > Advanced > Setup > QoS Setup > WMM

I set those two WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings to disabled.

That appears to have fixed the packet loss.

I assume that is because the Qualcomm driver the Killer 1535 is using was performing its own QoS.

I noticed some large latency spikes after disabling that, so I installed the 'Killer Control Center' program and set the Synergy.exe to max priority.

So far, so good.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Packet Loss involving R7800, Synergy and Killer 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

What wireless modes are you using? Try Up to 800Mb on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Set manual channels on each radio and test. 11 on 2.4Ghz and 48 on 5Ghz. Set WPA2 and AES only.

Disable IPv6 and MU-MIMO features as well and test.

Possible issue only between the 7800 and this particular wireless adapter if other adapters work.

Message 2 of 4
DeadL
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply!

I took a look at my Router settings and it looked like everything was already setup similar to your suggestions. Upon further investigation I found that the Router has QoS enabled for Wireless traffic on by default. (At least it was on for me, for some reason).

The settings are located at:

192.168.1.1 > Advanced > Setup > QoS Setup > WMM

I set those two WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings to disabled.

That appears to have fixed the packet loss.

I assume that is because the Qualcomm driver the Killer 1535 is using was performing its own QoS.

I noticed some large latency spikes after disabling that, so I installed the 'Killer Control Center' program and set the Synergy.exe to max priority.

So far, so good.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Wonder if you can disable any QoS or WMM on Killers adapter as well. Glad you got it working. Enjoy.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7