Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Phantom WiFi Device

JBirdV1
Follower

Phantom WiFi Device

Hey all,

Got a really odd one that I would like some assitance with becuase its driving me nuts trying to figure it out. 

I have just bought the R800 nighthawk and set it up. Before I even joined any of my devices to it, a WiFi device connected called 'Ruby's Hauwei phone'. Odd enough as I dont have any Huawei phones in the house but I chalked it up to still having the default password set, so I updated the firmware and set a new complex WiFi and Admin password. 

Again once back online the same device showed up in the connected devices list. So I went on to Access control and blocked it and also updated the WiFi password again to a complex one with 15+ characters and restarted. 

The device was still showing as connected after the restart but Blocked on the Access control. However after looking at the app later on that day, I had seen it had been changed to allowed. 

I cant for the life of me figure out how this device is connecting nor can I boot it from my network. I have researched the MAC address and it is indeed a Huawei device. 

Any advice?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Phantom WiFi Device

@JBirdV1 wrote:

I have just bought the R800 nighthawk and set it up. Before I even joined any of my devices to it, a WiFi device connected called 'Ruby's Hauwei phone'. Odd enough as I dont have any Huawei phones in the house but I chalked it up to still having the default password set, so I updated the firmware and set a new complex WiFi and Admin password. 

Anyone you know called Ruby?

Unknown devices can turn up because some wifi clients create "phantoms" that duplicate a recognised client. And Huawei is one of those makers that might supply own brand makers.

Apart from that, as you say, spooky.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7