Phone & ipad lose wifi, TVs are fine

JulieL
Aspirant

Phone & ipad lose wifi, TVs are fine

Ever since I hooked up a second fire stick I lose my wifi connection daily on my Samsung S9 and iPad although both TVs are connected. If I reboot then I'm fine till the next day. I've only had this router for about 6 weeks but no problems till recently. I'm not very techy so hope it's an easy fix. I reinstalled the nighthawk app and didn't work.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Phone & ipad lose wifi, TVs are fine

@JulieL wrote:
Ever since I hooked up a second fire stick I lose my wifi connection daily on my Samsung S9 and iPad although both TVs are connected.

Sounds like the firestick could be the cause of the problem. Does it still happen when the firestick is not connected?

What do you see on the Samsung S9 and iPad when this happens? Can other devices connect to the wifi?

@JulieL wrote:
If I reboot then I'm fine till the next day.

Reboot what? The router? The devices?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
JulieL
Aspirant

I can reboot the router and im fine for that day but am hoping to not do that every day. The firmware version is V1.0.4.78. I agree the second fire stick may be the problem but removing that is not what I want to do. Right now phone is not connecting to wifi, nighthawk app says offline yet the 2nd fire stick TV is working. Doesn't make sense.
Message 3 of 7

@JulieL wrote:
Right now phone is not connecting to wifi, nighthawk app says offline yet the 2nd fire stick TV is working.

Again, the information you provide lacks detail.

What does "not connecting to wifi" mean? It refuses passwords? Something else?

And where does the Nighthawk app come into the picture? That is the first time you have mentioned it.

@JulieL wrote:
The firmware version is V1.0.4.78.

That is firmware for the R6400v2, not the R6400. (No "V" number means V1.)

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 7
JulieL
Aspirant

Not connecting to wifi - my phone and ipad says wifi is not available. Nighthawk app is how I reboot the wifi. Like I said I'm not techy and maybe cutting the comcast cord was not a good idea. I will try calling netgear support if that is possible or going to best buy where I purchased the router. Thanks for the help.
Message 5 of 7
IrvSp
Master

I'd suggest you DO disconnect the probably FireTV Stick. See if that does cure the problem. My FireTV stick connects to my 5Ghz SSID... but have you tried a different SSID as a test as well?

Might want to swap TV's the stick is connected too? Wondering if there is some contention between 2 sticks? Have you contacted Amazon about this? It seems 2 sticks is not a problem though from a Google search.

If this is a stick problem, there isn't much the router can do about this, so first thing I'd do is isolate the problem to the stick, or prove it isn't it. Matter of fact, remove BOTH sticks and see if your router works fine first.

Message 6 of 7
JulieL
Aspirant

Ok sounds good. I will do that this evening. Thanks for the help!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements