Phone not connecting to wireless extender

andyfurniss
Aspirant

Phone not connecting to wireless extender

I have a Nighthawk R7800 in my living room but the signal isn't quite good enough to reach my bedroom reliably so I set up my TP-Link AV600 powerline + wireless extender in the bedroom. I had a similar set up with a different router in my previous home which worked fine.

For some reason, my phone just won't connect to the wireless extender when I'm standing right in front of it. It holds on to it's router connection. I have set the SSID and password of the extender to be the same as the routers as you can see below. I've also set the channel to be different to the router.

Router:

router.PNG

Extender:

extender.PNGextender2.PNG

Unfortunately, as you can see below, the extender is showing zero connected devices, even though I've left my phone right next to it.

connected.PNG

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Phone not connecting to wireless extender

That is the issue you do not want the SSID to be the same because the extender is creating a separate network. Rename the extender then try to connect.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
andyfurniss
Aspirant

But I don't want a different network. I want to EXTEND the existing network otherwise what's the point of a WiFi extender?
Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

What you are wanting is a mesh extender or a mesh router system normal extenders can not do what you are wanting it to do. The purpose of a normal extender is to give more coverage in the home by creating a new network.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E