Highlighted
Aspirant

Ping and Internet connection instablity

I am having some difficulty with my Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 unit with unstable ping times that worry me which ultimately lead to internet instability and poor connection.

When the router is running fine I get ping times less than 1ms; however, every so often a 24ms or higher slips in and even a timeout. When things go really bad I get 500ms to 750ms times with more time outs and no internet at all.

What would cause the nighthawk to have such varried ping times, and it isn't just the one computer. When ping times are upwards of 500ms there is no internet in the entire house.

- I have the router updated to the most recent firmware V1.0.3.56_1.1.25.
- I have charter internet, modem looks good. Charter says its good. I presume it is a local issue.
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Ping and Internet connection instablity

thunderai wrote:
I am having some difficulty with my Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 unit with unstable ping times that worry me which ultimately lead to internet instability and poor connection.

When the router is running fine I get ping times less than 1ms; however, every so often a 24ms or higher slips in and even a timeout. When things go really bad I get 500ms to 750ms times with more time outs and no internet at all.

What would cause the nighthawk to have such varried ping times, and it isn't just the one computer. When ping times are upwards of 500ms there is no internet in the entire house.

- I have the router updated to the most recent firmware V1.0.3.56_1.1.25.
- I have charter internet, modem looks good. Charter says its good. I presume it is a local issue.

Without knowing what you're pinging and what you're pinging it from, as well as what was happening between those two end points, any discussion on ping response times is meaningless.

PING (Packet INternet Groper) is a tool that was developed to test for connectivity - you send a ping request from Host A to Host B, if you get a reply it proves that a connectivity path exists from A to B and also from B to A (which is not necessarily the same as A to B).

If you do not know where A & B are, or what connects A to B, as well as what is happening at each of the intervening connections, then all you know is connectivity exists.

Ping response times can be useful in determining where a problem might lie, but only if you have the knowledge and experience required to interpret them.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

A is any computer on the lan. B is the router. When a solid internet Connection exists pings are less than 1ms. When internet isn't avilable pings are over 2520Ms to the router.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Mentor

And what is between the two?

Wired connection? Wireless connection? How many computers on the network? What are the other computers doing at the time of the ping? What happens if you try to ping another computer?

Last but not least - what are the LEDS on the router doing when the problem occurs?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements