Planning upgrade to Nighthawk R7000. Have Prosafe VPN VS114. Is this compattible or should I upgrade

Yselka
Follower

Planning upgrade to Nighthawk R7000. Have Prosafe VPN VS114. Is this compattible or should I upgrade

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12
buckwem
Aspirant

Re: Planning upgrade to Nighthawk R7000. Have Prosafe VPN VS114. Is this compattible or should I upg

The current R7000 firmware breaks 5GHz channel. It has been broken over multiple firmware updates for many months and no outlook of being fixed. I wouldn't buy an R7000.

Message 2 of 12
myersw
Master

Re: Planning upgrade to Nighthawk R7000. Have Prosafe VPN VS114. Is this compattible or should I upg

@buckwem wrote:

The current R7000 firmware breaks 5GHz channel. It has been broken over multiple firmware updates for many months and no outlook of being fixed. I wouldn't buy an R7000.

I would go one step further and say do not buy any Netgear router right now. Used to be my go to vendor, but after r8000 and r8000p bad firmware and they do not seem to be able to produce a good firmware I would not buy or recommend. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 12

@myersw wrote:

I would go one step further and say do not buy any Netgear router right now.

You should also know that some people hang around here simply to pour scorn on anything and everything that Netgear makes. Some even boast that they never use Netgear hardware, but that does not stop them from intervening. Someone with a suspicious mind might accuse them of being plants from rival brands.

A better place to get unbiased comments might be Amazon or the other retail sites where people buy and use this stuff.

When considering alternative makes, check them on the review sites and visit their support forums. Mostly you will find people with the same problems. The main difference with Netgear is that it has the busiest self-support group, with some staff people on hand.

As to the question in hand, have you looked in the section given over to that range of devices?

Managed Switches - NETGEAR Communities

But as this is just a managed switch, shouldn't any router compatible?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward this Prosafe VPN VS114 - respectively FVS114 – ProSAFE VPN Firewall 8 With 4 Port 10/100 Mpbs Switch - was a VPN router. 

To me it's unclear on how such a consumer WiFi router should be able to replsce a business VPN firewall. But hey, we know nothing about the use case. Impossible to assist.

Message 5 of 12

Agreed. Hard to understand trhe task in hand.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 12
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward 

Someone with a suspicious mind might accuse them of being plants from rival brands.

Nope not a plant. Just a former customer who loved the products, until the firmware engineers wandered into the 3rd party forest and started putting out not stellar firmware. Prime example is r7000's. I had one when they first came out and it just worked. Now sitting on shelf. New firmware takes a great router and basically breaks it. The r8000 and r8000p I owned never worked correctly due to faulty firmware. In the case of the r8000 DD-WRT ran better on it though not perfect. Therefore my issue with Netgear and why I suggest other products. When they get the firmware issues under control then I will again recommend as they have great hardware, just the firmware right now sucks to put it bluntly IMHO. . 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 12

@buckwem wrote:

It has been broken over multiple firmware updates for many months and no outlook of being fixed.

I have used "back channels" to remind the support team that this issue is now at least three months old, forcing people to roll back two or three firmware versions to get trouble free operation. They tell me that they are now on the case, at last, and plan to get some users involved.

Trouble with these things is that most users may experience no problems, but that is no consolation for the handful of victims.

There has been a similar blowback, albeit less common, with the R7800. Most users report no problems, but anyone using a Pihole hits a brick wall.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

There has been a similar blowback, albeit less common, with the R7800. Most users report no problems, but anyone using a Pihole hits a brick wall.

That's perfectly OK to me - people which don't understand that many sites are only able to exist (and pay for food and living) thanks to Internet advertisement.More and more sites to everything so that users blocking these wont allowed any further access - and thats the only way to go. Brick wall is the right place for them.

Message 9 of 12
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward 

Yes I remember reading on another thread about r7800 and PiHole. Not sure why there are issues. Just a DNS server, router in this case, asking another DNS server for info. I do remember it seemed to be an issue if the PiHole was on same subnet. Doesn't make sense to me. I have run PiHole for years on same subnet as router, running on an old Rasberry Pi. Never have had issues with it even when I was running the r8000 and r8000p. 

IMHO something broke in the dnsmasq service or config. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 10 of 12
JoseAndres041
Luminary

myersw

When you can't fix your own network problem and just decide to blame the manufacturer. Hahahaha. Dude, not everyone gives up just like that.

Message 11 of 12
myersw
Master

@JoseAndres041 wrote:

myersw

When you can't fix your own network problem and just decide to blame the manufacturer. Hahahaha. Dude, not everyone gives up just like that.

As I have said before, Netgear was my go to vendor for years. Have been involved with wireless since back when B was a wow. Did not give up without a fight. R8000 and R8000P were both hampered by bad firmware, nothing in my control to fix. Have used Netgear products in the past with success, including a R7000 when they first came out. My Linksys WRT3200ACM running DD-WRT performed better then the latest Netgear from a firmware standpoint. It has now been sold.  

Big difference is my current network wireless and wired just works. No disconnects, no slowdowns, no reboots, no need to reset and reconfigure plus good coverage everywhere. I can get traffic info that you can only wish for and dream about. How many gig of Netflix did a particular device use? Total bandwidth use broken down with pie charts showing how much of each service or protocol. Cost me, with watching Ebay, about the same as a high end consumer grade router, $450. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E