Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please Help Nighhawk X6 Ac3200

jwiggs44
Aspirant

Please Help Nighhawk X6 Ac3200

I have waited a total of 4 hours for customer support. And still they couldn't help me. I play Xbox one x and purchased this product for better performance. I called because my 475Mbps has now decreased to 215mbps when using this router. Tech support had me do a factory reset which appeared to work but then when we did the QOS for my Xbox, speeds dropped. When I connect to my service provider router from my imac to modem everything is fine with my speeds. When I switch back and plug modem to router, speeds drop. I am.also hard wired. Please help , willing to compensate for your time and help . They also told me to change my mtu to 1450 or some number for 24hours and if it didn't work , call back and they will further investigate. This is B.S .
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Please Help Nighhawk X6 Ac3200

What firmware are you on? 

What actual router do you have? AC3200 is a speed, not a model number.

What modem/gateway are you on? 

If you have qos, access control, traffic monitoring, or parental controls enabled, disable them and reboot the router. In some instances, some people have had to full factory reset and do a clean install (not from backup and don't enable those services with the clean install). 

Those services can drop speeds and cause issues if you have speeds greater than 250mbps

Message 2 of 4
jwiggs44
Aspirant

I have the latest firmware version. Yes, i enabled qos because that is a feature on the model. Speaking to people , i might even need this router . I live single, in an apt and use 6 devices. Mainly my xbox one x gaming system. I thought i could priotize the xbox , so i could play better . My connection was already fine prior but i was tiold the router would help further. Looking, this is meant for wireless devices . My xbox, my tv, and my imac are all hard wired. my cellphone, smart watch and firestick are wireless. Obviously, i use my cell ofen and fitbit watch. My firestick i use in other bedroom at night.Yes, my speeds are 400mbps plus normally.  Getting this router , i dont see the advantage or justification for me. I did the whole reinstall from factory with netgear tech. Once i enabled that dmz and qos ... is when problem occured. WHY  make a product and downgrade peoples speed. Seems messed up to me . Thanks 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Qos, parental controls, traffic monitoring, and access controls are require packet inspection. 

When speeds were 100-200mbps. It wasn't an issue as the processors in routers could handle it. When you got to faster speeds, the processors couldn't handle the speed and do packet inspection. This isn't an issue just to this router. The newer generations have built in hardware that can do it but the older devices couldn't. You might not think it but the R8000 was released 4 years ago. 

so its kind of a toss up.

Plus there isn't much benefit to QoS when speeds are greater than 250mbps. There's plenty of bandwidth and there isn't the need to prioritize one device over another. 

even streaming 4k video is only 20-40mbps. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7