Please help me contact someone at netgear who is knowledgeable and can help me.

Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Please help me contact someone at netgear who is knowledgeable and can help me.

Well first off I have a x10 ad7200 but I did not see that model to click on. Is it possible to please speak with someone at netgear that is knowledgeable?

I have been on the phone with their support for an hour and a half and we are vot absolutely nowhere. I explained that I am having issues with my link rate and range, that my old nighthawk x4s was better in both regards. I told them I tried everything. Nobody else is on my channel, I have enabled ht160 mimu and beamforming. My router is in the same spot. My nvidia shield use to link at 852ish and was 100% signal with my a4s router. Now it links at 292 and the signal is 91% and it is very close. Same results with my xboxone and my galaxy s9.

So the netgear phone support agent starts to give me a long explanation between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz, I thought here we go. This gentleman was very nice but did not speak very good english and was not the slightest bit knowledgeable. I will not bore you with the entire hour and a half call but it started him having me reset the router and master reset and ended with him telling me that my issue is that I do not have a modem for my router, I tried to explain about the ont and it ended with me giving up.

Please is there any way i can talk with someone knowledgeable at netgear about my nighthawk? I am so frustrated right now.

Thanks,
Shane
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
IrvSp
Master

Re: Please help me contact someone at netgear who is knowledgeable and can help me.

How did you contact NetGear? Did they call you or did you call them? We've had many people make the mistake of finding a number on the Internet and calling that number thinking they were calling Netgear. Usually ends in a request to connect to your PC or a request for payment up front before doing that.

Sorry I can't help with your problem though.

Message 2 of 20
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Re: Please help me contact someone at netgear who is knowledgeable and can help me.

Thank you for your reply. contacted through the nighthawk app. I made a case, received the case number, and called the number it provided through the app. I also received a from netgear that I opened a case.
Message 3 of 20
IrvSp
Master

Good...

I'd call back and if I had a problem getting my point across I always ask for a Supervisor. Usually works.

Message 4 of 20

@Shaneacook1989 wrote:
Well first off I have a x10 ad7200 but I did not see that model to click on.

AD7200 is another of those wifi speed labels.

The model number will be something like R9000, not that it will make much difference.

model number

Please is there any way i can talk with someone knowledgeable at netgear about my nighthawk?

Why not start here?

Can you boil it down to the issues at hand? (We don't need to know about your travails with the call centre.)

I simply can't see what the problem is from your first message. No internet connection? Slow network? Bad wifi?

Start at the beginning. What is the problem? What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface. What else is on your local network?

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 20
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I actually did start here with all the things you mentioned without any replies. You can find my original post here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Low-link-rate-on-new-x10-router/m-p/1684638/...

And my firmware version is v1.0.4.12

Thanks
Shane
Message 6 of 20

@Shaneacook1989 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I actually did start here with all the things you mentioned without any replies.

Probably because that one was also hard to understand.

Getting answers here, and from a call centre, depends on providing clear answers to the question thrown at you.

Delete stuff we do not need to know.

Use some paragraphs.

Tell us what the problem is.

DFoes it boil down to "My wifi is slow."?

Your first message here said:

I explained that I am having issues with my link rate and range....

What does that mean?

What does link rate mean to you? What are you measuring?

Then there is my question "What else is on your local network?"

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 20
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Did you view the Iink posted to the original question? I explained it in further detail there. I also did explain things in further detail to the gentlemen from netgear, I just summed it up here for length as this post was to try to find a way to communicate with someone at netgear that was knowledgeable. I want someone who knows what a gigabit connection is and someone who had atleast heard of verizon. The netgear representative know neither. I would be embarrassed if I were netgear to have such poorly trained staff. Maybe I expected too much but I know very little and when I call I expect them to know more than me.
Message 8 of 20

@Shaneacook1989 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Did you view the Iink posted to the original question?

Yes. Did you read my reply? In which I explained  my problem with it.

@Shaneacook1989 wrote:
I explained it in further detail there.

Not in a way that I could follow.

I want someone who knows what a gigabit connection is and someone who had atleast heard of verizon.

There are plenty of those here.

But they cannot help without a clear and concise explanation of your problem.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 20
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

I apologize if it was hard to understand as I am a not extremely well versed. So for example I can check the link rate on the nighthawk app, my shield is like 292mbps now when it was to link at 840ish with my old x4s router. Same with my phone, the link rate is 292mbps now when it was 840ish. I have done speed tests over 5ghz and 292mbps is my max speed now. Also the signal to me nvidia shield is at 91% now, shown on the nighthawk app. When it use to be 100% with the x4s and the router and shield are in the same spot. I dont know why this is switching to a more powerful router on the same channel I am not getting the same speed and coverage.

Thanks
Shane
Message 10 of 20

@Shaneacook1989 wrote:
So for example I can check the link rate on the nighthawk app, my shield is like 292mbps now when it was to link at 840ish with my old x4s router.

What is "my shield"? Speed?

Where are you measuring the link rate?

I have done speed tests over 5ghz and 292mbps is my max speed now.

If this is a test over your wifi, this depends on the wifi clients. What is that? Whatever the device it is pretty good by most standards.

Also the signal to me nvidia shield is at 91% now, shown on the nighthawk app. When it use to be 100% with the x4s and the router and shield are in the same spot.

What is this nvidia shield? Some sort of device?

Signal levels are not the most reliable indicators of performance. Anything in the 90% range is going to be judged as "excellent".

Back to the bottom line, is this all a load of stuff about measurements? Or do you have performance issues anywhere on your network?

How is your wifi configured?

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the latest firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

There is a manual for the R9000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Nighthawk X10 R9000 | AD7200 Smart WiFi Router| NETGEAR Support <<<<

Just another user.

Message 11 of 20
IrvSp
Master

Part of the confusion might be over 4 different things possibly?

Such as:

1. Wireless Signal Strength. That is the number of bars or semi-circles you might see on a device. This will vary by distance and/or band used, and possible interference. Not really a true measure of anything. I guess in some devices might show as a percentage.
  2. Connection Speed. This is what is reported by the device utility and applies as the MOST possible on a connection to the router. Has only a theoretical speed, not the real speed that can be achieved due to other operations both on the router, the OS, and devices.
  3. Internet Speed Test. Again, the most you could get from you device via the ISP. Usually matches what the ISP spes's (actually most ISP's add 10% or more so they don't get sued for not delivering what is promised) for the service. Again, this is the ACTUAL theoretical limit. Hard to reach as other factor are involved such as load on the  server/device you are going to and/or again, router, OS, and device performance.
  4. True down/up speed. Basically you'll never know what that is?  Only way is to download some different size files and upload different size files. Speed depends on the sending/receiving of TCP/IP packets and size of the packets as well as handling on the other side. Larger files tend to have higher speeds. https://speedof.me/ is a good site to test like this. You'll see graphically how each size varies in speed.

I don't know and can't tell what you are fixating on and using as a measurement other than you said the prior router. Did you keep data on it or are you 'guessing' it was faster?

Might be an interesting read as well on all this, http://www.plugthingsin.com/internet/speed/testing/.

Bottom line could be channel interference or even a different security type was used, not to mention 'new' settings enabled vs. old router, like QoS, Traffic Meter, Logging, or something else?

Message 12 of 20
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Thanks again for the reply. So the nvidia shield is like supercharged chromecast/roku. I used it to as a plex client to steam 4k videos over my home network. I enclosed a few picture of what I am trying to say.

So I connected my old router and I used my phone as the example. I used the netgear genie app and did a screen shot using my phone. This picture is a showing what the link rate and signal strength use to be previously to installing the x10.

Now using the genie app again, when I am right next to it with my phone I am only at 292mbps link rate and 92% signal strength. And the same goes for the nvidia shield tv. I used to get like 842mbps link rate and 92% signal strength to it on my old x4s router. So my issue is since my link rate is 292mbps that is the max wifi speed that device can reach, I know first hand it is capable of much higher. And it doesn't matter if I have an internet connection at all because I am streaming videos over my home network. My issue again, why when switching from the x4s to the x10 am I getting worse link speed and signal strength?

If you read my first post I did the firmware update and did a master reset with the button for 1 minute twice. I checked and nobody else is using any of our channels on both 2.4 and 5. I am using the same channels as I was on the old router. I do not have qos enabled as I have a gigabit connection. Mu-mimo is on, ht160 is on, beamforming is on. I am not sure at this point what else I can try. To me spending this much on a router and not have it perform at least as good is unacceptable. I am sorry but I am frustrated mostly at netgear for not being able to provide me with REAL phone support like I thought was included in the price for the first so many months. I have tried everything I know how to change and I am wondering if there is anything I can try or do I have a defective router...and if so who can I speak with about getting it replaced.

Thanks again,
Shane
Message 13 of 20
IrvSp
Master

The LINK RATE is the same as the CONNECTION SPEED... has NOTHING to do with the true speed or the highest speed capable.

See my USB Wireless adapter data on the right side. The top 3 SSID's are my R8000's SSID's. Note the CONNECT SPEED circled in RED at the bottom. No way I can reach it with the Internet. My ISP speed is 100/10Mbps down/up. Even going PC to PC I am limited to the READ/WRITE speeds of the disks, OS's handling, and transmission overhead. Not even can I achieve more than 50 or 60Mbps between 2 PC's.

I have some iPad's here. Older V2 and 3's, and newer Pro's. The V2 and 3's COULD NOT even get over 30Mbps speeds. Why, the Antennea's in them. However the iPad Pro's can get full 100Mbps speeds. It is clearly a device that determines what you can get.

Now comparing the same 'data' to the two different routers seems to make sense. However you are on the SAME CHANNEL's and I assume the same SSID's, but do you have the SAME SETTINGS exactly on the router with no added new ones enabled? Did you FORGET the old networks and reconnected the devices as new?

One thing that I noticed was the IP Address, 10.0.0.3? That is not the normal default IP Address of the router, usually 192.168.1.1? Why is this? What is the MODEL make and model?

Message 14 of 20

@IrvSp

One thing that I noticed was the IP Address, 10.0.0.3? That is not the normal default IP Address of the router, usually 192.168.1.1? Why is this? What is the MODEL make and model?

I suspect that that supposed to be "What is the MODEM make and model?"

You probably asked that question because, as we both know, that 10.0.0.3 address can happen when someone tries to add a router on to a network that already has a modem/router.

Earlier on, though, we were told: 

I do not have a modem for my router

So who knows how the internet arrives?

Just another user.

Message 15 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward, did I ever tell you I dislike spelling checkers Smiley Happy

I'm sure the IP Address was assigned to be what it is was because that is what it was before? Why it was that way could shed light on the problem though. Also makes me wonder if any or all devices had gone through the process of 'forgetting' the old network. Quite possibly not, and one device could be dragging down the whole network.

I discount the 'Link Rate' or 'Connection rate'. Although different, and I can not explain the differences, other than possible the DB power seen (and we never know which BAND it was connected to?) was lower which in itself doesn't mean much?

There is something going on, that is for sure. What is not fully understand is what are the true differences and the complete setup?

Message 16 of 20

Spiel chequers are the devil's plaything.

@IrvSp wrote:

Also makes me wonder if any or all devices had gone through the process of 'forgetting' the old network. Quite possibly not, and one device could be dragging down the whole network.

Good thinking.

It is always good advice when replacing one link in the modem > router > network chain.

Just another user.

Message 17 of 20
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Thank you again for the reply. So obviously have a modem but we have food gigabit connection and the modem is in a box ouside the house. One ethernet cable comes into the house directly to the modem.

So I did change my username and password for all of bands so it should have forgot my old network on all devices. And all of my tests are on 5ghz
Message 18 of 20
Shaneacook1989
Aspirant

Thanks again for your help and reply. So I will go through my setup from the beginning.

Verizon Fios with gigabit connection. I believe there is a ont outside connected to a modem, from the modem there is a ethernet cable that comes into the house and goes directly to the nighthawk. This doesn't really matter too much as the issue I am having is wifi over my home network with things such as receiving wifi signal from a home media server.

So to be very concise my issue is my wifi signal is not as strong with my new x10 ad7200 as it was with my old x4s ac2300. Like my router is in the same spot and the wifi devices are too, now the signal is to the same devices is poorer with the x10. And also the like rate is as well.

I understand the link rate to be the maximum speed a particular wifi device can reach. So if the link rate on my phone is 292mbps that is the maximum speed I will be able to achieve? If so why did that change from over 800mbps with the new x10 router?

My setup process:

Turned on the router and updated the firmware.

Did a master reset with the physical reset button on the router.

I then waited until it rebooted and connected to the router via ethernet on my desktop pc.

I only had my computer connected and I set a brand new user name and password, different from the old one so I had to reconnect all of my devices.

The router defaulted to the exact same channels my x4s were on.

Then I checked to see if anyone else were on those channels and nobody around us was

I went into the advanced setting from here...

I made sure qos was off.
I made sure beam forming was on
I made sure mimimo was on
And I enabled ht160

Then I did router reboot. Same settings as my old router except for beam forwarding which I do not believe was available on the x4s. But I did try to turn that off with on the x10 with the same slower results.

Thank you again,
Shane
Message 19 of 20
IrvSp
Master

Was the old router also at 10.0.0.1?

Are you just complaining about the 'link rate'? Are Wireless speed tests the same though?

It is possible different routers put out different power levels (DB's), and some have settings for that even.

All I can suggest is to wipe the router clean,  using the ERASE button on the ROUTER BACKUP page (if on your router), and then ONLY set up the single SSID you are using and test.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements