Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Plex broken on R9000

xTxBagZx
Guide

Plex broken on R9000

Firmware Version   V1.0.5.2

Plex Server Version#: 1.18.0.1913-e5cc93306 Jul 16, 2019

I have a Netgear R9000 with the built in support for Plex. I kept getting an unable to connect error a couple months ago and it has not worked since then. The last time this happened I had to delete Plex from my HDD that is attached to my router and reinstall. This time around I have done the same, except now everytime I click "open Plex" on my router GUI I get the following message:

" You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.

For more information about how to access routerlogin.com, visit [Router login page cannot be displayed](https://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27199)

[NOTE: Some browsers may have cached this page by accident. You can follow instructions below for some popular browsers to clear the cache and try again:

##### Internet Explorer (IE):

1. For Internet Explorer, click on Tools > Internet options and select  **Delete browsing history.**
2. Make sure all options are checked and then click  **Delete.**

##### Google Chrome:

1. For Chrome, go to the browser toolbar, click  **More Tools**  and select  **Clear Browsing Data.**
2. Select the “beginning of time” option and then click  **Clear Browsing Data.**

For other browsers, please refer to user manual for your browser]."

I followed the directions and even downloaded Firefox and opened it on that and it says the same thing as on Chrome. In the past I could bypass this problem by just going to Plex.tv and managing my library through there. Now when I do that and go to "+ your media" it tells me to download Plex media server and does not allow me to add any media. I said screw it and decided I would just download Plex for Windows and run my media server from my PC. Well guess what, same problem. When I go to "+ your media" it still tells me download Plex media server. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I'm really pissed off I bought a $400 router primarily for the Plex feature and can't use it on there, let alone my PC. I can't find any support for this on the Plex forums and haven't seen anything relevant here either. Please help!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
xTxBagZx
Guide

Final update: I fixed it. As I suspected, not being able to use routerlogin.net was the problem as the "open Plex" button redirects to a routerlogin.net url and not a 198.168.1.1 url...at least for the initial setup page.

The way I fixed not being able to connect to routerlogin.net is by going to the network and sharing center on the computer I was trying to access the router from. I went to adapter settings and changed the settings for the adapter I was connecting to the internet through, in my case ethernet. Went to properties and down to the IPV4 settings. Changed the setting for DNS servers from automatic to 1.1.1.1, secondary 8.8.8.8 and voila, routerlogin.net suddenly works now. When I accessed my router from that address and clicked "open Plex" I did not get the error message since I connected through routerlogin.net instead of the 198.168.1.1 IP. Opening Plex in this way then let me setup the server and all is well.

I'm not sure why my fix worked as the DNS servers forced by my router are the same ones I set manually on my computer, but whatever. Just glad it works. If anyone else is having this issue you may be able to bypass the issue without using my fix by using the following url which should open Plex using a numbered IP instead of the routerlogin.net. I would have done this myself but I was unable to get the address prior to doing my fix.

http://192.168.1.1:32400/web/index.html#

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I don't have this router but I do run plex. What modem are you using? Kind of key as if you're in a double nat, it can cause issues with dhcp on your network.  I'd be looking at dhcp conflicts especially after you said you tried running it on windows and couldn't get it working either. If both the router and windows setup aren't working, it makes me curious whats all running on your network

Message 2 of 9
xTxBagZx
Guide

I have a Netgear CM700. Double NAT is not the problem. The WAN port shows my public IP address.
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

I would still investigate everything else on your network. If it was just plex on the router not running I'd be pointing at your router. But if it isn't working on your PC as well, something is behaving strangely. I've ran plex on a router (not anymore), plex on a nas, and plex on a PC. 

If you try going to https://192.168.1.1:32400/web/index.html   what do you get? (assuming you still have your router on the 192.168.1.1 setup)

Message 4 of 9
xTxBagZx
Guide

I'm not so sure it's an issue with my network. It used to workjust fine for me and nothing in my network has changed since that time, so I don't see how it could be that.

When I tried that address I got this:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.1 unexpectedly closed the connection.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

have you tried factory resetting the router and reinstalling? Potentially you can re-install the firmware as well. Occassionally the firmware gets corrupted and a factory reset only erases settings, not overrides the firmware. 

I'm doubting its that if you can't get plex working on your pc either. 

Message 6 of 9
xTxBagZx
Guide

I figured out what the problem is. The server isn't showing up in my Plex account because you have to open Plex on the device the server is running on and log in to your Plex account before you can access it from other Plex apps. I did it wrong on my PC before which is why it didn't work there. I tried it again and it works on my PC. The issue with it on the router is I am unable to open Plex on the router to register the server to my account. That's due to the problem with the "open Plex" button in the router GUI not actually opening Plex and giving me the error page instead. Unfortunately the instructions it gives to fix the issue in the router GUI doesn't actually do anything. I tried factory resetting the router and it still does it. Guess I'm just not going to be able to use Plex on my router. Pisses me off. Typical Netgear trash. Won't make the mistake of buying another one.

Message 7 of 9
xTxBagZx
Guide

Further update: I believe the specific issue causing the problem with the "open Plex" button on the router GUI is due to the fact I am logging in to my router using the IP address vs routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com as I am unable to utilize those for some reason. Any time I try to use one of those I get the same message as I get when I click "open Plex" in the router; "You may not be connected to your Router's WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router's WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

I think if I can get the issue with not being able to use routerlogin.net solved, it will solve my Plex issue. 

Any ideas?

Message 8 of 9
xTxBagZx
Guide

Final update: I fixed it. As I suspected, not being able to use routerlogin.net was the problem as the "open Plex" button redirects to a routerlogin.net url and not a 198.168.1.1 url...at least for the initial setup page.

The way I fixed not being able to connect to routerlogin.net is by going to the network and sharing center on the computer I was trying to access the router from. I went to adapter settings and changed the settings for the adapter I was connecting to the internet through, in my case ethernet. Went to properties and down to the IPV4 settings. Changed the setting for DNS servers from automatic to 1.1.1.1, secondary 8.8.8.8 and voila, routerlogin.net suddenly works now. When I accessed my router from that address and clicked "open Plex" I did not get the error message since I connected through routerlogin.net instead of the 198.168.1.1 IP. Opening Plex in this way then let me setup the server and all is well.

I'm not sure why my fix worked as the DNS servers forced by my router are the same ones I set manually on my computer, but whatever. Just glad it works. If anyone else is having this issue you may be able to bypass the issue without using my fix by using the following url which should open Plex using a numbered IP instead of the routerlogin.net. I would have done this myself but I was unable to get the address prior to doing my fix.

http://192.168.1.1:32400/web/index.html#

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7