Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Poor Throughput with Netgear GENIE Running

JohnNadeau
Apprentice

Poor Throughput with Netgear GENIE Running

I'm posting this under the Fireware Label with this in mind:  Is it possible that those experiencing Throughput problems after a firmware upgrade are running the Netgear Genie Windows Application?

When the Netgear Genie Application for Windows is running on one of our computers, the Local Network Throughput is very slow !!

For example, reading/writing a 60MB file between two computers:

Writing/Uploading     Reading/Downloading                  

With Genie Running    :    39.50 seconds             6.59 seconds

Without Genie Running :     5.35 seconds             4.73 seconds

We have an R7000 with firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83

Genie Windows Application v 2.4.20

I've run multiple tests and the results are consistent.  With Genie Running, uploading/writing to another computer takes a long time.  As I watch it progress, it pauses/delays every 10MB's or so... pauses at 10MB, then 20MB, 30MB, etc..  Without Genie running, there are no pauses whatsoever.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else running the Genie Windows Application can replicate this issue.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

There used to be a ton of posts, of exactly what you were describing. Poor performance. User would remove that app, and all would be good..

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Might not be able to replicate that issue exactly, but Genie has been known to cause device and router / network problems. Not sure why you would really want to run it. Just uninstall Genie, and connect to the router via a browser, using an IP address.

Message 2 of 5
JohnNadeau
Apprentice

I guess "gluton for punishment' comes to mind Smiley Embarassed

I like the NetWork Map with the ability to assign meaningful names and icons to each device... and was experiementing with some of the other features.

I use the web interface primarily.  Access Control gives the ability to assign meaningful names, but not icons.

More importantly, just wondering if other users suffering from poor throughput would try turning off the Genie Application and see better performance.

Message 3 of 5
netwrks
Master

There used to be a ton of posts, of exactly what you were describing. Poor performance. User would remove that app, and all would be good..

Message 4 of 5
JohnNadeau
Apprentice

Good to know.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements