• 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Poor WiFi signal R8000

Having problems with WiFi signal, I have just brought the R8000 today connected up and checked all channel numbers, signal is dropping to 75% upstairs in the room that is directly above the router.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Poor WiFi signal R8000

You expect signal reduction with distance and obstructions. floors tend to be great at it because they have multiple materials and potentially even hvac (metal) that blocks wifi. 

5ghz will see an ever greater drop off than 2.4ghz because it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. But its significantly faster so even at a lower connection, many times it still ends up faster. 

Is it impacting your speeds? 

CAX80->GS716v2->RBR50->RBS50-RBS40V-RBS50Y
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Understand it struggle through different materials but I was let to understand this router should reach upto 3200sqf so the fact its struggling to keep a good signal streth less than 20ft is concerning, I've tried it on both 2.4 and 5. My house is a 4 bedroom but is an older build so does have brick walls, I use a firestick upstairs and can often drop signal hence the reason for upgrading from my bt smart hub 2 to the nighthawk. But the signal is the same as the smart hub
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

there are goverment orginizations that limit how much power you can broadcast with. And most routers hit that limit without issues very early on. Which is why you don't see a signal strength difference. You might get a speed difference as some routers are more efficient or better able to transmit data based on their internals, but that actual broadcast power is usually close to the same. 

And brick is an excellent blocker of wifi. 

The "up to 3200 sqft" is an "up to" under ideal conditions. Sure it'll cover 3200 sq ft but its doubtfull in a brick home. That's going to be true of any router because they all operate using the same wireless setup thats blocked by brick. 

And I'm not sure by what you mean by "keep a good signal". you put you were at 75% of broadcast. Thats only a 25% reduction and not that bad for a brick home.  If you want more info on wireless and what dropoffs can be expected, an excellent resource is this: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

and info on signal blocking materials

https://www.signalbooster.com/blogs/news/how-much-which-building-materials-block-cellular-wifi-signa...

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for your input, hopefully it won't drop out now I have this router. What would be your advice on a product as I would like my Internet to reach my shed outside the property?
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

how far away is the shed? 

Are the exterior walls brick to? 

Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

About 50ft and yes about 2 brick walls
Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

The brick is going to cause the issues. 

Your best bet would be to run an ethernet line. 

Is there a chance that there's power ran to the shed from the house? Maybe powerline would work. 

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

That's a good idea, I'm having to take the R8000 back my TV is buffering and struggling and it's only 15ft away with 1 brick wall, my smart hub worked better
Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

Are you using smart connect? 

Make sure the tv is connected to the 5ghz band. 

What firmware versiona re you on? the R8000 should be able to outperform most ISP supplied devices. 

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

It couldn't even pick up 5g I've taken it back and now trying the d7000 model
Message 11 of 11