Re: Poor WiFi speeds on my Nighthawk R7000

darren_
Tutor

Poor WiFi speeds on my Nighthawk R7000

I applied a firmware update last week, and it seems that my WiFi speeds have been exceptionally poor since. I've rebooted the router, which helps in the short term, but the slow speeds return within a couple of days. Setting it to automatically select the channel does not help. I experience the same low WiFi speeds on my laptop, tablet, and phone.

Here's a speedtest report with me connected via WiFi, sitting in the same room as the router (about 1.5 metres away):

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7613592099

And here are results just a minute later, connected via Ethernet, showing full speed to my provider:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7613596340

What's going on, and is there a fix?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
IrvSp
Master

Having wireless not match wired is usually normal depending on ISP speed and wireless device adapters as well as channel used and if there is interference.

More info would be needed here. Also 2 tests you might try for debug purposes.

• Roll back to prior Firmware and test to see if it is fixed.
  • Connect only a SINGLE wireless device at a time and test with all others clearly off the network (disconnected or powered off).

There are 2 SSID's on the R7000, does this happen on both?

Do you have SMART CONNECT enabled?

Do you have Traffic Meter enabled?

Is QoS enabled?

Message 2 of 13

@darren_ wrote:

I applied a firmware update last week....

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 13
MightyHandy
Guide

I had the exact same issue.  For me the problem only manifests itself using 2.4Ghz.  5Ghz and Ethernet are fine.  I reverted the firmware to: 

Firmware Version 1.0.9.28 and did a reset and it seems to have fixed the problem.  I'm still stunned how much slower 2.4Ghz is than 5Ghz (30%-70%).  I'm going to compare the R7000 with another router tonight.  But, doing the firmware + reversion brought my average speeds up from 10MBps to 50MBps.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 13

@MightyHandy wrote:
I'm still stunned how much slower 2.4Ghz is than 5Ghz (30%-70%). 

5 GHz is designed to be faster then 2.4 GHz but with a shorter range.

Anyone got any idea on what the expected speed difference should be?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@MightyHandy, please don't post to an old thread much less 2 of them (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R7000-dropping-connection-constant...). It makes it hard to understand who is answer who sometimes and your issue could be completely different.

Message 6 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward, without the specific h/w involve and other data, I don't think this is real number.

For instance, the 2.4Ghz band could be connecting with a G or N speed device... and the possilities of connection speed would 54, 150, 300, or 450Mbps even. On top of that, it is the connection speed... No numbers given for tested speeds nor what the ISP speed is? Don't forget, usually the lowest connect speed is what the router will generally provide on any particular band. In addition, higher speed devices that are dual-band could connect to that SSID as well.

Same goes for the 5Ghz band. N, AC, or AD speed devices. Usually 300Mbps or higher, even over 2,000Mbps connection rate. And again, depends on device and other traffic.

Don't forget distance from router and what is between the router and devices, not to mention some router settings also play into this.

Might want to read this, https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html about the various speed possibilities.

Still, that post should have started a new thread I think.

Message 7 of 13
darren_
Tutor

I will try reverting to the older firmware and resetting the router to factory. It's very annoying to have to do that. 

What we've been finding, particularly on our tablets, is that it will work at full speed for a couple of hours, then completely stall. If we toggle the WiFi off and back on again, it fixes the issue. I haven't had the same success on my laptop. When it stalls, it's pretty much done, and I have to reboot the router.

Message 8 of 13
ey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Wifi 2.4 and 5-Ghz always slow down to 5-10 Mbps for no reason down to 5-10 Mbps while ethernet cable have no problem and always get max speed 120 Mbps. When i start to remote control my PC using my tablet that connect to 2.4 Ghz for 2 minutes, the router all of sudden blocks all devices from connecting to 2.4 Ghz and cause device to say "saved" always until i reboot the router

I have done the following:

- Re-Flash firmware file from web browser instead update directly

- Reset the router

- Configure Wifi channels etc, correctly and disable feature QoS and etc that cause Wifi instability

All of them does not help, still same behavior. Reboot sometime helps but not always. So i ended up plugging a timer that turns off power and turn back on after a minute every second day (we did the same thing since 2006 when router is always unstable and slow). Let's see what happens

Please let me know what firmware works best and stability

Message 9 of 13
ey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Even you change channels to one that doesn't match with neightbor, it will make Wifi speed even worse no matter what. So best way to reboot router is to turn off from the back, unplug, replug and turn on again

Message 10 of 13

I see several people mentioning reverting a resetting. 

How about resetting after upgrading before assuming the updated FW is faulty. 

1.0.9.34 is very stable.

If you are updating using the Auto Check and Update feature...  This too can cause problems.  Manual update is the way to go.   

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 11 of 13
ey
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's what I did. Flash firmware manually and reset after that, but it doesn't help much. I'll see how it goes with the timer i setup to turn off/on the power every 2nd day.

I had been update firmware through the update check in web without reset for 3 years and never got any signle problem until this year (june-september). The new firmware is somewhat bad written, causing more problems behind that you might not see. 

Message 12 of 13
MightyHandy
Guide

Aspirant, I had to go back all the way to: V1.0.8.34_1.2.15 in order to get reliable good speeds. I recommend going back as far as 1.0.8 or 1.0.7 to see if you can get repeatable good speeds.  And, then if you want to get adventurous start dipping your toe into 1.0.9.  I did get some decent speeds in early 1.0.9 versions, but after a day or 2 the bad speeds came back (5-10Mbps).  Seemed like 2.4Ghz was more vulnerable to the bad speeds... but I think I did observe some of that behavior with 5Ghz too.  I reverted to 1.0.8 over a month ago and haven't once seen 5-10 Mbps on either band.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements