Re: Poor connection on 2.4 Gz but 5 works fine

jackier
Aspirant

Poor connection on 2.4 Gz but 5 works fine

Having problems with poor signal stregnth on 2.4 Gz even though computer onloy about 5 feet from router and 5 Gz is fine.  Also having poor speed on 2.4 Gz.  Tried rebooting as well as firmware upgrade with no results.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@jackier wrote:

Having problems with poor signal stregnth on 2.4 Gz even though computer onloy about 5 feet from router and 5 Gz is fine.  Also having poor speed on 2.4 Gz.  Tried rebooting as well as firmware upgrade with no results.

What is the make and model of the computer? Since this is a 2.4Ghz connection, that would make the PC kind of old? Newer ones are dual-band usually. If this is a laptop and the antennea is inside the case that could cause weak signal.

Poor signal = Poor speed, especially if a lot of retries for TCP/IP is needed.

Some solid data here would help. ISP speed, and what do you get on the 2 wireless SSID's and a wired connection? Is QoS or Traffic Meter enabled?

Did it ever work OK?

Message 2 of 4
jackier
Aspirant

Hi 

Thank you for your fast reply

Not sure the computer matters.   Have a dual wireless router that has 2.4 and 5 modes.   Have problems on desktop computer as well as laptop, iphones and ipad.     

Have used speedtest.  Not sure what the other items are that you are asking about

Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@jackier wrote:

Hi 

Thank you for your fast reply

Not sure the computer matters.   Have a dual wireless router that has 2.4 and 5 modes.   Have problems on desktop computer as well as laptop, iphones and ipad.     

Have used speedtest.  Not sure what the other items are that you are asking about

Your original post:

---------------------

---------------------

You didn't answer with any details. Assuming the computer is using wireless you gave the same non-data answer.

Yes, since now you've detailed more devices assumed to be on the 2.4Ghz band, but I got no data from you to go on?

I asked:

=========

Some solid data here would help. ISP speed, and what do you get on the 2 wireless SSID's and a wired connection? Is QoS or Traffic Meter enabled?

Did it ever work OK?

========

All I got back was you used speedtest but not a single number or if it ever worked?

Can you tell me the various speeds you are seeing and what the ISP provided speed it?

I'll ask again:

• Did it every work at full speed (OK)?
  • Is QoS enabled?
  • Is Traffic Meter enabled?
  • What is the speed you see on the 2.4Ghz SSID?
  • What is the speed you see on the 5Ghz SSID?
  • What is the ISP provided speed?

New question, have you tried changing the 2.4Ghz channel number (assuming it is set on Auto)?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E