Poor range Nighthawk X6S AC4000 (R8000P)

Simo2004
Aspirant

Poor range Nighthawk X6S AC4000 (R8000P)

HI all this is my first ever post so hope I’m in the right area etc 

I had the virgin super hub 3 installed AS there built in router seems ok but it didn’t reach the bottom of the garden where the “mancave” is which is a issue

I bought the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000P)  as I thought the range would be so much better but I have the same issue i get around 1 bar signal on my mobile then it will lose signal and switch to 4g etc 

I know nothing about IT but are they any tweaks I can make to the router to extend the range 

The router is inside a TV cabinet which i know isn’t perfect but with a 2 year old running about it needs to be hidden 

The "man cave" is about 30m down the bottom of the garden.. i do however have aa ethernet cable installed down there wired into the back of the R000P and it goes into a normal switch .. as I’m writing this I’m wondering if I can put the router down there on a wood top and try fire the signal back up to the house ?

What other options do I have as at the moment ive wasted my money 

thanks in advance cheers Ian

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Poor range Nighthawk X6S AC4000 (R8000P)

So the broadcast power for routers is set by the governing body. And most routers have maxed that out long ago. so you're not going to see much difference on connection strength by switching routers. A difference in speed based on strength maybe. 

Is this "mancave" in a seperate building? 

What is the exterior walls made of that you're trying to broadcast through? many exterior materials block wifi extremely well. (brick, concrete, adobe, plaster lathe, metal siding, cement board, etc)

If you've got a ethernet cable strung to the "man cave", why not run the superhub where its at, connect the R8000P in the  mancave and put it in access point mode? Then you'd have 2 wireless networks you could use. One in the primary residence and one for the man cave. Just make sure to have them on seperate wireless channels so they don't interfere with each other. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 4
Simo2004
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to reply.. I’ve miss understood how it works and looks like I have wasted my money 

the add i seen was saying it did something 2200 sq foot etc so figured it would reach 

I can do what you suggested but its a lot of money just to have as a access point 😞

can i not get some kind of mesh booster for it ?

also doing it your way wont i have to WIFI signals ?

thanks for taking the time to reply 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Simo2004 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.. I’ve miss understood how it works and looks like I have wasted my money 

the add i seen was saying it did something 2200 sq foot etc so figured it would reach----2200sq ft. under optimal conditions. You didn't put what you're walls are or what you're broadcasting through. All wifi signals are going to have issues broadcasting through certain materials. 

I can do what you suggested but its a lot of money just to have as a access point :(-----you can buy an access point. Or buy an extender that has access point mode. Or use the superhub as the access point (if it has AP mode) as it isn't known for the greatest wifi performance anyway. 

can i not get some kind of mesh booster for it ?  Mesh extenders need a good wireless connection to work decently in extender mode. They can run hardwired in in AP mode but then they don't function as a "mesh"

also doing it your way wont i have to WIFI signals ?  have 2 wifi signals you mean? Yes you would. neither device is a mesh device and even the mesh extenders, only function as mesh if they're connecting wirelessly (which isn't an option at your distance). You'd need to go to a full mesh system like Orbi to have the option of a wired and wireless backhaul. 

thanks for taking the time to reply 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E