Port Forward not working R6400v2

KillerWolfMonty
Aspirant

Port Forward not working R6400v2

I know that there are a few port forwarding posts already about the R6400v2 on here but none of them seem to pertain quite to my specific problem, even if they start out pretty similar. At the time of writing this, I have the newest firmware, V1.0.4.84_10.0.58.

I've hosted a Minecraft server for years on a slew of NETGEAR routers. Once I got the hang of port forwarding, it was easy. Really went off without a hitch for years. My old router was finally starting to crap out and slow down out of nowhere so I decided to replace it with a NightHawk router. Performed flawlessly, except for one tiny little detail; port forwarding wasn't working. It will show up on the page as having the rule there, and it's configured properly, no different than I had been doing for years, setting up a reserved ip for my desktop, setting the port ranges to the same, 25565 (though it should be noted that I have tried other ports to see if it was just Minecraft being dumb, SSH for example, and that doesn't work either). The server acts as though the port is open, doesn't give me the "FAILED TO BIND TO PORT, etc." error or anything. The problem is however that nothing shows up as having the port open outside of my local network. Minecraft clients can't connect via my external ip. I couldn't ssh using the external ip the way one normally would, etc.

Nothing the tech support people had me do was anything I hadn't already thought of and tried. After spending literally 3 and a half hours jumping from person to person on there, it was time to give up on Netgear's employees and post here, cause I'm running out of options. I use port forwarding a fair amount for little projects and I need to have this problem fixed. It's worth noting as well that none of those port checker sites were able to find my ports as open even if i had something listening on my end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: Port Forward not working R6400v2

> [...] Minecraft clients [...]

Where?  On your LAN, or in the outside world?

> [...] can't connect via my external ip [address].

Which is what?  (The top half, "a.b" out of "a.b.c.d", would satisfy
my curiosity.)

> Nothing the tech support people had me do was anything I hadn't
> already thought of and tried. [...]

Think, for a moment, about how little useful information that
non-description conveys to the non-psychics in your audience.

See also:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1886694

Message 2 of 6
KillerWolfMonty
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

> Where?  On your LAN, or in the outside world?

Outside world, anyone connecting over my public ip.

Which is what?  (The top half, "a.b" out of "a.b.c.d", would satisfy
> my curiosity.)

47.14.x.x  I'm well aware of the whole thing where the isp uses their own NAT to conserve IPs and whatnot, and I can assure you that the ip shown by my router under the "Internet Port" tab matches the results of looking up my public IP on google or any of the first few listings that pop up in that search.

I'm also aware that I was rather vague when posting about what I'd already been through with the support representatives, but consider for a moment the fact that I had been going back over it with several different representatives, over the course three and a half hours, give or take. That aside, the four reps that I had talked to had all walked me through port forwarding assuming that I still wasn't aware of how it was done or something I would imagine. Over the course of this troubleshooting I had been recommended to reset the router to defaults, set a reserved address, I went though the nat filtering settings list and was told to try it on both open and secured, the proxying tick box, disable port scan tick box, the disable SIP ALG box, been told to reset my computers network settings, reset my modem to defaults, release the lease on the isp assigned IP, one of the reps mentioned possibly using a DMZ with my computer as the target (though this is not an option I'm willing to consider for obvious security reasons). I'm pretty sure there were a few other things, but I can't remember off of the top of my head.

As for the linked post, I already went through that prior to posting here, and its actually one of the posts that I mentioned in my original post that was similar at first but seemed a different problem.

Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] I'm well aware of the whole thing [...]

That's nice, but how would (the non-psychics among) your readers know
that?

> [...] the ip [address] shown by my router under the "Internet Port"
> tab matches the results of looking up my public IP [address] [...]

Ok.  That's one potential problem down.

> [...] Over the course of this troubleshooting [...]

Am I wrong, or do most of those things reek of desperation?

> As for the linked post, [...]

There were some basic diagnostics therein.  For example:

>    Can you connect to the server from a system on your LAN, using the
> server system's LAN IP address (the one in your port-forwarding rule)?
> If you can't access the server locally, then there may be little chance
> of doing it from the outside world.
>
>    If that works, then, still from a system on your LAN, try using the
> router's WAN/Internet IP address.  That should verify the
> port-forwarding rule(s) (and the "NAT loopback" feature of the router).

Note that your actual port-forwarding rule(s), address reservations,
server address, and so on, remain invisible.

For my list of "The usual problems with this stuff" (most of which
has been covered already), see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1867112

> [...] I have the newest firmware, V1.0.4.84_10.0.58.

I don't recall seeing similar reports, so I wouldn't bet on
different/older firmware helping, but, if you get desperate...

Message 4 of 6
KillerWolfMonty
Aspirant

I'm fully able to connect via my LAN IP. Nothing can connect via the WAN IP unfortunately, not on my network or from someone else's. 

> Note that your actual port-forwarding rule(s), address reservations, server address, and so on,

> remain invisible.

I'm not exactly sure how you mean, invisible to what/whom? (I'm not exactly a psychic either)

> [...] I wouldn't bet on different/older firmware helping [...]

Yeah, I doubt that it'd be the solution but if nothing else presents itself as the solution, I suppose i can try that.

Message 5 of 6
antinode
Guru

> I'm fully able to connect via my LAN IP. Nothing can connect via the
> WAN IP unfortunately, not on my network or from someone else's.

That would suggest that the server is working, but the router's port
forwarding is not.  (Bad router or bad configuration?)

Does "Nothing can" translate into some actual error message?

> I'm not exactly sure how you mean, invisible to what/whom? (I'm not
> exactly a psychic either)

Invisible to me.  (Who else matters?)

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E