Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Forwarding Problem

Xemu
Tutor

Port Forwarding Problem

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble with port forwarding on my Netgear Nighthawk X8 (R8500) wireless router. It is currently running the latest firmware version (1.0.2.94). I have a Cisco 7960 IP telephone running SIP firmware that I am trying to use with a VoIP provider. I can send calls with no problem, but I cannot receive incoming calls. I used a softphone to narrow the issue and have found that it has something to do with my setup so it lead me to port forwarding. I created a port forwarding rule for port 5060 which is the correct port for the service I am trying to use. My ISP doesn't block this port. I also assigned the phone a static IP address before I created the port forwarding rule. The rule is using UDP and not TCP since VoIP uses UDP. I am still not able to receive calls, and I checked to see if this port is open by using multiple port checking websites. They all indicated the port is closed. I already tried rebooted the router. I am not sure what else I can do. 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Xemu
Tutor

Re: Port Forwarding Problem

I performed a test using my computer with a softphone to see if the port forwarding was working at all and it did in fact work. So at this point, it looks like it is the IP telephone that is the problem. According to the configuration, it is listening on port 5060, but for some reason it is not passing the port test. At least I know at this point that the port forwarding rules in general are working. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Is your Nighthawk connected to a modem or a modem/router?

Message 2 of 8
Xemu
Tutor

It is connected to an Arris SB6141 modem only device. This modem is mine and not supplied to me by the ISP. 

Message 3 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Ok.  Are you sure that port 5060 is the only port that needs to be forwarded and that only UDP?  Try forwarding both TCP and UDP.

You can also try toggling the SIG ALG setting in WAN Setup.

Message 4 of 8
Xemu
Tutor

Yes, the SIP service I use only uses port 5060 and the telephone is configured to use 5060. I did try the suggestions you mentioned before regarding toggling the SIP ALG and trying the TCP/UDP setting. It didn't make a difference. Regardless of how I set it up, I still cannot receive incoming calls but ultimately the websites that check the ports keep telling me that the port is closed. 

Message 5 of 8
TheEther
Guru

I forgot to ask the other key question.  Does your R8500 have a public IP address on its Internet port?  A lot of ISPs are switching to private addresses using CGNAT (Carrier Grade NAT).  If this is the case for you, then port forwarding won't work.  You would need to lease a public IP from your ISP.

Message 6 of 8
Xemu
Tutor

I believe that it is a public IP address. I read that my ISP is not employing the use of CGNAT. I found a webpage that has a test to see if you are likely behind a CGNAT address and the test showed that I am not. 

Message 7 of 8
Xemu
Tutor

I performed a test using my computer with a softphone to see if the port forwarding was working at all and it did in fact work. So at this point, it looks like it is the IP telephone that is the problem. According to the configuration, it is listening on port 5060, but for some reason it is not passing the port test. At least I know at this point that the port forwarding rules in general are working. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7