Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Forwarding issues

KaiOsmon
Aspirant

Port Forwarding issues

Wan IP address is 172.103.xxx.xx

1. Did enable "remote management" on port 8843

When I check if the port is open, yes it is. When I go to 172.103.xxx.xx:8843 from my home network I do get to the routers admin page. So its all fine, but when I go the same address from outside, the port is still shown  as open but Im getting an error "The site cannot be reached"

2. I did enable port forwarding for port 1001 (internal and external), but I cannot reach this url from outside and when I test port it says that port is closed. Why is it closed when I did set port forwarding? What else I should do?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

Re: Port Forwarding issues

I have figured what it was.

The IP Camera network settings was done  properly. The gateway and DNS IPs was left from the previous router. Thats why it did locally but not remotely.

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 28

All Replies
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

My Network is as following:

Internet provider: shaw

Router works through the modem. Local IPs 192...   external IPs 172...

Message 2 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

what FW version? also unless you changed the port it's 8443

Message 3 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

Hi,

sorry, misspelled 8443. Firmware Version
V1.0.5.64_1.1.88
Message 4 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

I've tried to use NAT filtering with both secured and none, both cases not working. to be honest, not sure what NAT is for.
Message 5 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

actually remote management does work remotely now. the problem was is that I didn't specify HTTPS for the web address. but ports set for forwarding still cannot be reached and shown like closed in outside testing. why would they be closed if port forwarding or set...?
Message 6 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

edit           I was going to suggest HTTPS in my first response but figured it was  obvious

Nat is the function which allows the router to share it's public IP address  across multiple devices, leave it alone.

I think a factory default reset is your best option, leave all settings alone except for allow remote connection

Message 7 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

but I have to do port forwarding for my IP camera. at the very begging, when I didn't touch anything but set pretty forwarding. 8443 was open but my port was still closed
Message 8 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

try using UPNP it should work unless netgear hosed up this FW version too. Also use address reservations for IP camera

Message 9 of 28
TheEther
Guru

A port forwarding test includes the device at the IP address you are forwarding to.  So, make sure your IP camera is on and responsive on that port (1001).  Otherwise, the test may appear to fail, even though the router is operating correctly.

Message 10 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

my camera is pump device but when I go to pump settings for router, my camera is not there and there is no button to add one. how do I do that?
Message 11 of 28
TheEther
Guru

Is your camera set up to use DHCP?  If so, connect it to network and turn it on.  It should appear in the list of attached devices on the router.  Go to the DHCP server settings on the router and permanently reserve the IP address for your camera.  Then point your port forwarding rule to that IP address.  Try connecting to your camera from outside your home network.

Message 12 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

this is the way it was done since the very beginning. I didn't say camera is not visible in the router, it is, it's not visible in the pnp section.

I have wanscam camera. set status IP address for it in the router and can freely access it withing hone network. port forwarding is enabled for the IP address with port number, however this port doesn't seem to be open, why?
Message 13 of 28
TheEther
Guru

Request: Please proofread and correct any typos before posting.  I had no idea what you meant by "pump device".  It sounds like you meant UPnP.

One of the functions of UPnP is to provide device-driven port forwarding.  The device talks to the router and requests ports to be opened.  Therefore, you don't need to manually set up port forwarding. But using UPnP in this situation makes no sense.  You have to know what port has been opened using UPnP in order to access the camera from the Internet.  The problem is that this port could be random.  You would have to remotely log into your router, look at the UPnP table to see what port has been opened, then include that port in the URL for accessing the camera.  Was that your plan?  If so, that's too much work.

You would be better off disabling UPnP on the camera and setting the camera to use a fixed port.  Then you should set up port forwarding on the router.  This would provide a stable port for accessing your camera remotely.  Judging from the Wanscam (what a name; looks like Wan scam) instructions, you absolutely can use a static port instead of UPnP.  If this is the only thing you are using UPnP, then I would disable UPnP on the router, too.  It's a little bit safer to prevent devices from opening ports on their own.

Message 14 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

yes, from local network the cameras local IP with 1001 port does response.
Message 15 of 28
TheEther
Guru

What URL are you using to access the camera from the Internet?

Message 16 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

HTTP://172.x.x.x:1001 or HTTPS
in this case the reason is not URL but the fact that the port 1001 is still considered to be closed. why would it be closed if camera does respond on this port from local network and port forwarding is set for the port?
Message 17 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

Could it be somehow related to router mode? My is in router mode. maybe I should change it to Bridge or AP?

Well, remote management on port 8443 works, the camera does respond on its port 1001 in local network, port 1001 is forawrded. I wonder, what could be the reson for the port to be still closed?

if camera response on 1001 localy, does it mean it has to respond on the same port from outside? 

Message 18 of 28
TheEther
Guru

@KaiOsmon wrote:

Could it be somehow related to router mode? My is in router mode. maybe I should change it to Bridge or AP?

No.  Leave it in router mode.

Well, remote management on port 8443 works, the camera does respond on its port 1001 in local network, port 1001 is forawrded. I wonder, what could be the reson for the port to be still closed?

Did you update firmware from 1.0.4.30 or earler to anything later?  If so, the port forwarding settings are incompatible.  You would be advised to do a factory reset to wipe out any old, incompatible settings.  Reconfigure the settings by hand.  Do not restore settings from a backup file because the file is incompatible, too.

if camera response on 1001 localy, does it mean it has to respond on the same port from outside? 

No.  For example, you can set up a port forwarding rule to forward from external port 2001 to internal port 1001.  You would then point your browser to http://172.x.x.x:2001.

Message 19 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

---Did you update firmware from 1.0.4.30 or earler to anything later?  

Yes it did updated to V1.0.5.64_1.1.88 before I did set any settings. Do I still have to reset?

Message 20 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

in other words, each time Firmware update happens, I have to rezet it? Doesnt sound user friendly...

Message 21 of 28
TheEther
Guru

Agreed, it's not user friendly. It's not always necessary to reset after a firmware update. It depends on whether Netgear makes a significant change to the configuration. Often it's possible to get by without a reset. But in your case it would be a good idea.
Message 22 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

Will do it tonight and see if it works, thanks in advance 😉

Message 23 of 28
KaiOsmon
Aspirant

good morning, did hard reset and the action of of no help. remote management port 8443 is open and 1001 still not.

I have been thinking that the problem could be with port numbers and have new port 8441 to remote management and assigned 8443 to IP camera. the result is 8441 is open and 8443 is not... what could be the issue?
Message 24 of 28
TheEther
Guru

So, you changed the setting on the camera to use port 8443 and changed the port forwarding rule to 8443?

Is the port forwarding rule pointing to the IP address of the camera?

How are you testing whether the port is open?

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7