Port Forwarding not working

candermb
Aspirant

Port Forwarding not working

Hello

I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 router.  I have had to repeatedly default and rebuild my port forwarding.  My port forwarding quits working.  It show there is absolutely no port forwarding has been configured.  Yet when I try to add a port forward I get an error saying "Port conflict with other service."  I have tried to make backups and when the problem arises default it and restore from the backup with no success.  This seems to be an issue that has plague Netgear for years but I have not seen anything recent.  Are people still having issues with this or has everyone who had issue go sick of waiting for Netgear to fix the issue and purchase a competitors switch instead? I am sick of having to rebuild my router on a regular basis.  Is there a fix or should I find a different manufacturer?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: Port Forwarding not working

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
IrvSp
Master

What port? Do you have USB READYSHARE enabled?

Message 3 of 10
candermb
Aspirant

Touché.

My current version is 1.4.1.30_1.2.26.  I have had the issue since purchasing this router over a year ago.  It also comes back throguh all firmware upgades as well.

I have also searched this problem and it seems it has been a hibitual problem with Netgear Routers for several years.

I have tried updating my firmware everytime it was required.  My ISP changes regualrarly but I use a DDNS service to access externally.

As you can see Port Forwarding shows nothing is configured. This happens sudenly without any idication.

Capture.JPG

When I try to re-add the cconfiguration it shows the follwoing.

Capture 2.JPG

So how can it conflict with something that does not exist? I can also not delete or edit?

I am using Ports 8081-8082 and 7700.

Not sure that will be any significance.

This is very frustrating.

Message 4 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Can't see those in-line screen captures until a Moderator approves them (however you can).

The firmware is NOT for the R8000, but for an R8000P or R7900P I think?

Are you using em7-secure-communications? That uses port 7700.

Port 8081-8082 are HTTP alternatives? Wondering if they conflict with the normal HTTP ports that might be open?

Message 5 of 10
candermb
Aspirant

Sorry.  You are corect it is a R6800P.

The first picture is showing that it appears that no Port Forwarding has been configured on the system.  When I try to add in a custom port forward for 8080-8081 to my recrod server it says Error - Port conflict with other service.

The 8080-8081 are for Milestone Xprotect video managment for remote viewing app and video psuh to record from my Iphone back to the recrod server at my house.  The 7700 is fo my Bosch security system so I can arm/disarm recieve alarms from my secrurity system.  They funny thing is it will work after I factory default my router then rebuild everything from scratch.  Then after a few weeks or mybe a month it alll just quits working.  I tough it was due to automatic firmware upgrades but I diabled them.  The last time it quit working before the frimware upgrade.  I installed it after the port forwarding quit wokring.

Message 6 of 10
IrvSp
Master

I think if you are using REMOTE MANAGEMENT it might be using port 8080?

If on Windows you can see who IS using the ports in conflict. Using an Elevated CMD prompt (Run As Administrator) execute NETSTAT -b -o. It will throw out the standard ones and then list slowly ones added. Best to redirect the output using for instance >C:\NET_LIST.TXT and wait a minute or two and then break the command. Then use NOTEPAD C:\NET_LIST.TXT to view and search the list for those ports. If you find any, well, you'll know who at least.

Message 7 of 10
candermb
Aspirant

Thanks.  I will give that a shot and see what I get back.  

I did checked the Remote Managment.  It is not checked as being enabled and it also indicates it is using Port 8443.

I understating that a conflict would cause it not to work.  What I do not understand is why in the web interface of the router all my port forawrding settings are not displayed. It is as if they do not exist.

Message 8 of 10
Pantah
Initiate

I have the same issue. I cant add port forwarding  rules either,  It says that there is a port conflitl

Message 9 of 10

And your answer to the earflier questions is?

You have just joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you want help with your problem, it helps to check all previous stuff that may be related, but then you should start your own discussion. In this was you can also provide your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

If you do decide to ask a question, you really need to provide more details. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E