Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Forwarding to single wan ip address

Kevin561
Aspirant

Port Forwarding to single wan ip address

Hi i recently upgraded my modem from a DG2200v3 which allowed me to create https rule for port forwarding for a specific address ie single wan ip address, & was wondering if there is anyway i can achieve this with the D7000 router ?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Port Forwarding to single wan ip address

Yes, this was the second option. Netgear is convinced such firewall rules are not required on the consumer class Nighthawk, Orbi, or even thie "business" Orbi Pro or WAC510 routers. Seriously, Netgear does allow restrictions for outgoing connections (W)LAN->Internet , but their routers do not offer any firewall rule configurations for Internet->Router/(W)LAN. Silly but true. All we can do is continue to complain about this missing feature - which almost any competing brand router product has.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Your ISP does make multiple WAN addresses available (like a small subnet) with one address assigned to the router, and more addresses usable in additional NAT rules?

Not aware the Netgear consumer routers (Nighthawk, Orbi, Orbi Pro ...) have any support for this feature commonly available on some more expensive business Internet service connections. 

For a single WAN IP address, there is the port forwarding only, no firewall rules can be applied for the WAN[:port] -> LAN[:port].

Message 2 of 5
Kevin561
Aspirant

Hi Schumaku, thanks for that, i don't quite follow what you mean, but what i need to do is restrict the port forwarding rule to a single external ip address ie only if the external ip address (from the internet) matches the rule external ip address then port forward (https in this case)this feature is aviabiable on the DGN2200 v3 router (netgear) that i am upgrading from

regards Kevin

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Yes, this was the second option. Netgear is convinced such firewall rules are not required on the consumer class Nighthawk, Orbi, or even thie "business" Orbi Pro or WAC510 routers. Seriously, Netgear does allow restrictions for outgoing connections (W)LAN->Internet , but their routers do not offer any firewall rule configurations for Internet->Router/(W)LAN. Silly but true. All we can do is continue to complain about this missing feature - which almost any competing brand router product has.

Message 4 of 5
Kevin561
Aspirant

Hi Schumaku thanks for that guess i'll be selling my nice new nighthawk and switch to another brand pity i do like netgear gear... their loss

regards Kevin

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7