Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Port forwarding fails after firmware update v1.0.5.48_1.1.79

I've received word from Netgear Engineering.  They recommend a factory reset after upgrading to this release.

I have requested that they update the release notes to reflect this recommendation.

Message 26 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've tried a factory reset and after applying a backup it still wouldn't work. Yes, I could re-enter all my settings manually, but why should I waste the time?

This update should automatically apply the settings without resetting the device. Can we still expect some sort of update that addresses this?
Message 27 of 58
Highlighted
Guru

Your mistake was applying a backup from a previous firmware version.  That essentially cancels the effect of the factory reset.  You have to enter the settings manually.

Message 28 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have done factory reset and manually entered every single setting. It just doesn't work. Thanks.

Message 29 of 58
Highlighted
Guru

Sorry, there are too many subthreads going on in here.  If you were hoping to get port 1723 working in this release by doing a factory reset, then you're outta luck.  Port 1723 is broken.  Netgear has a fix and will deliver it in the next release.  I'm told that we can expect it soon.

Message 30 of 58
Highlighted
Initiate

I had the same problem yesterday, after about 3 hours everything looks fine. Just delete each one and reset up and it will work fine. I did all of mine and works fine.

Message 31 of 58
Highlighted
Initiate

I disabled and rely on 4 external cameras - port forwarding (!)....what a poor piece of software to be released...surely SOMEONE checked this!

Who is looking after me and my security now? Netgear - thanks - massive letdown - massive imposition.

What about a quick turnaround on a solid and tested fix?
Message 32 of 58
Highlighted
Guide

I was also hit by this port forwarding defect. It was pure coincidence that I added a new port forwarding rule even though I had already had it configured correctly and it was shown on screen. I only did this out of frustration and ruling out any other cause that I could think of including my ISP router / modem.

I have to say that I am very dissapointed that:

1) This feature was not tested in the latest release. If everyone who used port forwarding ran in to this issue it was obviously broken.

2) This should have been considered a MAJOR defect and the firmware should have been removed from distribution from the support page and update feature of the router.

This cost me a few hours of time to address this morning and I am not a happy camper.

As a fellow software developer, I am shocked that such a basic feature was not tested before pushing this out to the public.

Step up your game Netgear!! PLEASE test your firmware before releasing it!!

Message 33 of 58
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

Just want to verify if you have tried to reset the router to factory default after the update and manually reconfigure the device. 

Message 34 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

JamesGL, I don't think you read all the post in here.  Some of them had tried to reset to factory but still no luck.  (Check the post from 'woolball' date 2015-12-04 08:45AM.

"Factory reset and manually readded all setting. No luck, especially port 1723'

Message 35 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

I updated my R7000 at home to v1.0.5.48_1.1.79 while on a trip away from my home country last night just to find out port forwarding failed after the update. I had to delete and re-enter items in port forwarding. Netgear should really have withdrawn the release to avoid pissing off users. Lucky that they didn't screw up the remote management function at the same time.

Message 36 of 58
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Some users where able to make it work after the reset and manually reconfigured the router. I just want to verify if all users who encountered the problem was able to do the same as some did not mention the reset. Regarding the port 1723, this has been reported already.  

Message 37 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

I didn't reset the router to default. I just deleted port forward entries and manually created them again. That worked for me. Other settings remained untouched.
Message 38 of 58
Highlighted
Tutor

I did the same as csfong.

Message 39 of 58
Highlighted
Apprentice

subscribed!

just got an email from netgear alerting me to this new wonderfull firmware update! also noticed BT Multicast on it so of i go to update!

bad move..

i run a 5 camera security system also a NAS, none of which could be accesed remotley after the update due to the port fowarding issue! gutted, also wasted 2 hrs on xmas eve P$$ing about with the router.

rolled it back evrything now working again

netgear what a joke!

Message 40 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sigh! This release should really be withdrawn, fixed and re-released ! Just imagine someone running any sort of home business got into this problem and failed to bring the router back to function...

Message 41 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just saw that similar problems have been dicovered a few months ago which I wasn't aware of until now. If I was warned or heard of this problem. I would certainly not go for the update until issues are cleared.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-port-forwarding-stops-working/m-p/9816...

Message 42 of 58
Highlighted
Apprentice

Just for the record, I removed all port forward rules, reset the router, then installed and opened tcp/udp 5000-5005 only to allow my remote login of my server/nas with zero effect! Nada! 

Rolled the router back to .30 and everything came back to life? Seriously netgear! I have 18 port forwarding rules, and tested one on the new firmware, which didn't work, I never tested vpn tunnel 1723, but would assume this is the same. There is no way you can expect us to have to individually enter each rule and start from scratch.

unacceptable.

will raise a ticket for this problem, suggest others do the same..

its like ice taking your car for a service, paying the dealership after the work has been done, getting back in your car and seeing all the service kit sat on your seat with a note saying "please fit these bits your self, but we stamped your service book, thanks for your business" 

sort re this out net gear, these routers are far from budget! Plus I still have a useless wndr 4500 sat on my desk that you never managed to sort out either!

Message 43 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

Glad to see I am not alone on this issue.  I have spent hours checking my settings and removing and installing the monitoring programs.  I first confirmed that I did not have hardware problems by changing the settings so they ran off the internal IP address on the LAN.  That left the firmware update as the likely culprit and this discusison has confirmed it.

I deleted the previous port-forwarding service and re-entered but with the same result.  I am not inclined at this stage to do a factory reset.

I would note that the format for adding a port forwarding service has changed in this firmware version.  Previously there were extenal and internal start and end ports i.e. 4 entries.  There are now only the internal and external start points.  The guidance indicates that the range can be inserted by the use of a comma but when I do so with the same values (8000 was previously entered 4 times) I end up with only the two entries.  This may or may not be significant but it is the only change I can detect. 

Message 44 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was hoping that by removing and re-entering port forwarding entries, my R7000 would behave normally but it wasn't entirly true. My IP camera has been working from remote access since then but I found out Today that I could not remote-access Photostation. Webdav also didn't work. I tried to delete some port forward entries but it won't allow me to re-create them after that. 

I have to fall back to the previous firmware version(V1.0.4.30) and restore previous settings from config backup.

Message 45 of 58
Highlighted
Apprentice

So frustrating! Look, for all of us that have worked in or been involved in the IT world, we've all been frustrated by upgrades/installs/updates etc... But firmware updates are the fundamental underpinning of the hardware and especially considering that this isn't the first release, there is no excuse for this not to work, period! 

This is is simply unacceptable. What happened to netgear? I remeber a day when their kit was regarded as the best? 

So many lost hours with this BS, so unnecessary, such a waste of my time especially over Xmas period as well, shame on you netgear, rushing this through and beta testing firmware on us.  

Message 46 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi all.

As I mentioned earlierm, the port forwarding stopped working for me following the Xmas firmware update.

I don't want to mix threads but Readyshare printing has also stopped working.  I tried to create a new thread but it indicated that the thread was closed even though the thread was created before this firmware update.

Message 47 of 58
Highlighted
Apprentice

image.jpg

They've fixed all this in a new firmware update 1.0.6, was really simple they simply added this complicated code copied below....

Please Note: If you have setup Port Forwarding, it needs to be re-configured after updating to firmware V1.0.6.28. Please remove all entries in the port forwarding table and add them back to reconfigure it.

lMFAO....

bravo netgear, bravo....

its to the same as saying, the brakes don't work on my new car? answer, don't press the accelerator! Sorted!

Message 48 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

Netgear,

Your upgrade does not allow any 2.4GHz devices to be connected post update!!.... Did you test this release thoroughly? I had to roll back the upgrade to 1.0.5 after struggling with it for more than 90 minutes. What a shame and how frustrating..... Please do thorough testing before you release the updates.
Message 49 of 58
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for your responses.

I did the further firmware updates and both the port forwarding and the printing are back to normal.  A lot of wasted effort but nonetheless very happy to put that one behind me.

Message 50 of 58