• 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Port forwarding on Nighthawk X6 R8000

When I replaced my old router with the R8000 it suddenly became no longer possible to control my home heating from outside. Recently, an expert pointed out that it seems that the Nighthawk port forwarding only allows packets out and incoming packets in response, it does not allow incoming packets otherwise even on the allowed port.

Very recently I was trying to test a new device as part of my work and that also seems to be blocked for the same reason.

Is there any way around this?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted

Re: Port forwarding on Nighthawk X6 R8000

Greetings,

If properly configured, port forwarding does work and will allow you to access a device on your LAN from an external address.

The device in front of your Nighthawk can also affect this ability, so we may need to know more about your environment to give proper / accurate advice.

-I would recommend disabling UPnP

-Assign a static IP to the destination device

-Configure a port forwarding rule (TCP/UDP or both) depending on requirements to that IP. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.50 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.78

Message 2 of 5
Master

What firmware are you on?

I ask as most times during original setup if new f/w is found it is updated during the setup. If so, you got V1.0.4.46, the latest 'garbage' f/w released. Only out since the 20th or so, but already quite a few problems reported, slow speed, wifi drops, of course the loss of features with Armour being added. Some external access problems you the USB drive as well.

If you are on that one, backlevel to V1.0.4.28 and test it out.

Go here, https://kb.netgear.com/000061164/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-46, to get the readme and follow the instructions. When asked if you want to replace the newer f/w OK it. Then once installed, RESET the router, manually reenter all settings, and TURN OFF AUTO-UPDATE on the ROUTER UPDATE page.

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

The firmware version is 1.0.4.46_10.1.63

The router is connected to a Vodafone-supplied hub used as a modem. I've had this set-up for some years now but with different ISPs and modems and routers. The heating device has been connected since early 2015 but the access problem started only when I installed the R8000 router. I've lived with the inconvenience for about 18 months but I decided to look into the problem when I tested a device for my client and found that it could not communicate with its external server (it is fine in the company office).

For practical reasons I'm not able to check the heating right now but I did swap out the R8000 temporarily for an old Linksys WAG200G router and the company device immediately made contact with its server. The device's specs do not include opening any particular ports.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've disabled uPnP, made no difference.

The heating device sets its own static IP (always .246 in the range), and the specified port is open (as on the previous router).

My client's device does not specify opening any ports.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5