Port forwarding

swehjo
Guide

Port forwarding

Maybe this is not a specific R7000-question so please feel free to direct me to another, more suitable sub-forum...

I don't want to use uPnP and hence have it disabled in the R7000 admin interface. This also means that I need to forward ports for e.g. Skype.

However,
1. Even if I have uPnP disabled and don't define port forwarding using the port defined in Skype's settings, Skype works. How come?

2. I define the port forwarding through creating a "Custom service" and choose a port, say 12345, for both TCP/UDP and direct it to a specific PCs reserved IP-adress and use the same internal port. In the PCs Skype settings I enter the chosen port, e.g. 12345, and deselect Skype alternatives port 80 and 443. Am I doing it right?

3. If I do port forwarding as per above and then use a tool like "Open port check tool" (http://.www.conyouseeme.org), the tool cannot see my PC's services via that port. I assume that if the tool cannot see my PC, neither can Skype?!

4. Does that mean I've done something wrong when I defined the port forwarding or is something else incorrectly setup in the router?

My network traffic is normally works great and I have 125Mbit/s up and down but Skype has never worked to my satisfaction, with or without uPnP or with or without Port forwarding. But that is another theme....
Message 1 of 5
swehjo
Guide

Re: Port forwarding

swehjo wrote:
3. If I do port forwarding as per above and then use a tool like "Open port check tool" (http://.www.conyouseeme.org), the tool cannot see my PC's services via that port. I assume that if the tool cannot see my PC, neither can Skype?!

The correct link is http://www.canyouseeme.org/ (couldn't find a way to edit the post?!)
Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Skype isn't peer-to-peer, as far as I know. The servers sit in the Microsoft network and all actual connections (including presence information) are outbound from the client to the servers. You should need uPnP/port forwarding for Skype to work.
Message 3 of 5
swehjo
Guide

htismaqe wrote:
Skype isn't peer-to-peer, as far as I know. The servers sit in the Microsoft network and all actual connections (including presence information) are outbound from the client to the servers. You should need uPnP/port forwarding for Skype to work.

Hi htismaqe! I assume you're responding to #1 now. Yes, that is my understandning but still; Skype works even without uPnP and port forwarding to a named Skype-port enabled. This was the case with my previous Dlink-router as well as with this R7000. Either I'm doing something wrong, see my other questions, or there is something strange going on...
Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would imagine Skype was working previously in spite of the port forwarding rules you had enabled.

My kids use Skype every day. I've never had uPnP enabled nor do I port forward anything.

If you setup port forwarding on your router but the destination server is not listening on that port, an online port scanner will not report that port as "open" because it didn't get a positive response.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E