Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ports 465 and 587 closed

KH0608
Aspirant

Ports 465 and 587 closed

I have a Nighthawk R7000 Router that has been functioning great. All firmware has been updated and is current. But recently added a Lorex security camera system that has the capability to send out emails when motion is detected. The problem is that the emails will not pass through the router. The Lorex company checked all the settings on their equipment and then checked what they could on the Netgear router and they say that ports 465 and 587 are closed on the router and need to be opened to allow the emails to pass to the recipients. How do you go about opening them?
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
pec967
Luminary

I guess I would try again to configure a custom email server configuration. If you are using Gmail, for example, below are the SMTP settings. I would try port 587 first and 465 second. I would set encryption to required. If you are set up with two-factor authentication on your Gmail account, you will have to go to Google Account -> Security -> App Passwords and create an Application Specific Password that you will then enter in the password box of the Lorex SMTP configuration. The Receiver# address is the email account to which you want the alert delivered.

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

smtp.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if available)

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for SSL: 465

Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies

@KH0608,

Greetings.  So your Lorex Camera has a built in client or relay? 

One way:

Assign the camera with a static IP

Forward ports 465 and/or 587 to that IP

This should allow traffic to pass.

TELNET might help with troubleshooting to see if you can connect to the mail server.  If you provide more specific information about the hardware, it might be helpful.  

Message 2 of 10
pec967
Luminary

I think you are getting bad advice from Lorex tech support. When sending (SMTP) encrypted email, the outgoing tcp port will be 587 (preferred) or 465. The router will not block these outgoing tcp connections. Those ports will be blocked by default for incoming connections, however. You would only open these ports if you were running an email server on your home network, which is not what you need for the cameras.

My guess is that this has nothing to do with your router, but that you have configured the outgoing email incorrectly in the Lorex app. Did you try the Lorex "default" email setting or did you try a custom setting?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 10
KH0608
Aspirant

I have tried both with no success.
Message 4 of 10
pec967
Luminary

Which Lorex system do you have?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 10
KH0608
Aspirant

Model LNK7108 8-Channel 4K UHD NVR with 2TB HDD & 8 5MP Night Vision Cameras
Message 6 of 10
pec967
Luminary

I guess I would try again to configure a custom email server configuration. If you are using Gmail, for example, below are the SMTP settings. I would try port 587 first and 465 second. I would set encryption to required. If you are set up with two-factor authentication on your Gmail account, you will have to go to Google Account -> Security -> App Passwords and create an Application Specific Password that you will then enter in the password box of the Lorex SMTP configuration. The Receiver# address is the email account to which you want the alert delivered.

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

smtp.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if available)

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for SSL: 465

Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

Message 7 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Manual is at https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-camera-system/LNK716394B/LNK7000_SERIES_MANUAL_EN... and on page 72 is the 2 ways to do this. Which are you using? If you use the one on page 74 it appears to be to me the same way the R8000 sends out its log via e-mail? Can you send out the router log? If the router IS blocking those ports you shouldn't be able to.

It is normal for port 587 to be blocked for packets coming in, but not going out. If it were, you couldn't send e-mail.

Message 8 of 10
KH0608
Aspirant

I will try this and let you know what I find. Thank you
Message 9 of 10
KH0608
Aspirant

Reset my password in google and that fixed the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7