Possible to set MTU as 1500 on R7000?

psychopomp1
Novice

Possible to set MTU as 1500 on R7000?

Hi
I'm trying to set MTU as 1500 on my R7000 but the router won't let me, saying 1492 is the maximum allowed. Is this normal or is the router somehow 'autosensing' my ADSL2+ connection via PPoE? My internet connection works fine on MTU of 1492, however i'm having issues with Vodafone Sure Signal box and i've been told to use a MTU setting of 1500 on my router. I'm in the UK and my isp is TalkTalk.
Cheers
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Possible to set MTU as 1500 on R7000?

It's hard to say but 1492 is common for DSL.

I think there some model did 1500 and some only did 1492. I'm not certain the why there is difference in MTU max you can set.

What you can change is what you can do with firmware that is been used.
I would contact with support directly to discuss the issues since you can really fix the value that would not take by the firmware.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 6
acid90
Aspirant

same issue for me too and im with BT. i would rather have my MTU set correctly at 1500 than been told i can only have a maximum 1493 when i no its suppose to be 1500 - this slight lower MTU seems to be causing a lot of issue with my PS4 and killzone 4 multi-player game keeps kicking me out. when i use my BT homeHUB 5 it works fine and i have 1500 soon as i swap to BT modem + R7000 i have issues.

heres a link on the killzone forums - Guerrilla state MTU value. The minimal value needed to play killzone is 1454 - but hes talking rubbish even that slight decrease is causing me a lot of lag issues...!! and a lot of other people as well..

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Shadow-Fall-PS4/error-10100-while-connecting-to-multiplaye...
Message 3 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

acid90 wrote:
same issue for me too and im with BT. i would rather have my MTU set correctly at 1500 than been told i can only have a maximum 1493 when i no its suppose to be 1500 - this slight lower MTU seems to be causing a lot of issue with my PS4 and killzone 4 multi-player game keeps kicking me out. when i use my BT homeHUB 5 it works fine and i have 1500 soon as i swap to BT modem + R7000 i have issues.

I'm not sure what the question is at this point *smile*, but given that the topic is whether you can set the MTU to 1500 on the r7000, I thought that I'd respond. I'm using .194 firmware version at the moment, and on the WAN setup page, my MTU size is 1500 bytes. I haven't touched it, this is the default. It looks like you can change it from there, so it looks like 1500 bytes is the default, but you can change it to whatever works for you.
Message 4 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

If you telnet into the router, I see that there's an nvram variable called "wan_mtu"...you might try these commands. Use the MTU size that you'd like to set, of course, this is just an example:

nvram set wan_mtu=1493
nvram commit

I tried that with my router, and it was happy, and actually then showed 1493 in the MTU size field of the web admin GUI.

Might be worth a try to get around problems with the GUI. I'd make sure that I saved my settings to a file first, though, in case things didn't work out *smile*.
Message 5 of 6
Atin90
Aspirant

Instead of setting your MTU to 1500 why don't you first follow the instructions here to find the optimum MTU setting...http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements