Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Post firmware upgrade on R7900 and R7000

jackb_guppy
Aspirant

Post firmware upgrade on R7900 and R7000

Last night checking all my routers, and desided to update the current firmware V1.0.3.8_10.0.37.  R7900 was updated first,  It ran though and rebooted and my brdige using R7000 failed.  Tried normal resetting to clear the issue and finally upgrade R7000 to current release V1.0.9.60-10.2.60.  This did not correct the issue.

R7900 is setup in AP mode.  Appears that when the R7000 connects it will pass / return DHCP requests.  All other machines directly connecting to WiFi are find just the R7000 bridge is affected.  I can see the MAC of the R7000 and its DHCP assigned IP in the R7900.  The other standard thing was conenction status on R7900 showed 192.168.129.1 was the DHCP server - I do not have that IP range on the this network.  I disappeard when I forced to renew.

R7000 as said is in Bridge Mode.  Once it was updated, it was not responding.  Forced a RESET and reconfigured, thried it twice, on third try I conneted to my commodity device network (phones, tablets, smart devices) and the bridge worked.  It is bridge mode, but now I can keep back to its console, nor connect to USB attached for backups.

I have noticed others talking about firmware issues, before I start to roll these both back... Did I miss something?

My network.  Cable Modem with WiFi (2&5), handling VoIP and ARLO's network (2).  Then Firewall handling DNS and DHCP service for netowrk.  R7900 (2&5&5) backbone for high bandwidth devices.  Lyra (2&5) for low bandwidth, 3 nodes.  R7000 bridge connected to 1 of the two 5Ghz on R7900.  So I have a total of 8 WiFi netowrks running in my home.  Yes, I am nuts, but it works!  until now.   

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router,R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jackb_guppy
Aspirant

Re: Post firmware upgrade on R7900 and R7000

I have rolled back to earlier versions on both routers.   I am seeign others having issues with 7800 with other hardware not working with it either.  So Netgear needs to steep up testing to insure a good software is released.   Security patches be damned.

Since my routers are not exposed driectly to the internet, I am little safer... but not by much, Since JavaScripts from outside sources runs inside the firewall. 

Also next hope / gateway, is my firewall, so these routers do not appear in trace routes but are in the ARP multiple times, so a scan before hand on network is required before quickly finding one.  Agian not the greatest security but a little help. 

Lastly, I have internal montioring that can see scans - since it is "his" job to them in the first place - helps find rouge internal processing... and take action, including cuttign it off the internet to that machine.  It is run in parrellel with firewall, so it will corupt the package request - blocking the device.

So I feel safe... but again it is not prefect.  Updatign for security patch is always better, but only if it does not break something else.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

Remember, when running a complicated array of boxes like that you have to start things in a specific order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Have you checked all that?

Message 2 of 5
jackb_guppy
Aspirant

That is not needed.  Why I have heirachical design and setup.  Only 2 peices were change R7900 and R7000.   With having multiple "on-ramps" I was able to switch around to other parrellel WiFi networks, while dianogticing the issues.  Basically, I am my own ISP.    

R7900, in AP mode, cannot past thought DHCP requests from boxes connected to R7000 bridge.

R7000, in Bridge mode, cannot handle USB drive nor Display WEB console, releiablily. 

Message 3 of 5
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Very intersting topology. with which FW version, both R7000 and R7900 work as expected?

you may submit a ticket to NTGR support team to get help to clary issues.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
jackb_guppy
Aspirant

I have rolled back to earlier versions on both routers.   I am seeign others having issues with 7800 with other hardware not working with it either.  So Netgear needs to steep up testing to insure a good software is released.   Security patches be damned.

Since my routers are not exposed driectly to the internet, I am little safer... but not by much, Since JavaScripts from outside sources runs inside the firewall. 

Also next hope / gateway, is my firewall, so these routers do not appear in trace routes but are in the ARP multiple times, so a scan before hand on network is required before quickly finding one.  Agian not the greatest security but a little help. 

Lastly, I have internal montioring that can see scans - since it is "his" job to them in the first place - helps find rouge internal processing... and take action, including cuttign it off the internet to that machine.  It is run in parrellel with firewall, so it will corupt the package request - blocking the device.

So I feel safe... but again it is not prefect.  Updatign for security patch is always better, but only if it does not break something else.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7