Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power Button is in solid amber

monashaker
Aspirant

Power Button is in solid amber

Hello, 

My Wifi extender is having the power button in solid amber. I tried to make a factory reset and I am not able to do that.

It seems that it stuck on reboot and I don't know what should I do to solve this issue

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Power Button is in solid amber

When you reset, did you push and hold for 7-15 seconds while powered on? 

you might have corrupt firmware. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 10
monashaker
Aspirant

Thanks for your response but it didn't work as well

Here is the output, It refuse the connection 

C:\Users\m\Desktop>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put EX3700_EX3800-V1.0.0.84_1.0.56.chk
Connect request failed

Message 3 of 10

@monashaker wrote:

Here is the output, It refuse the connection 

C:\Users\m\Desktop>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put EX3700_EX3800-V1.0.0.84_1.0.56.chk
Connect request failed

Keep trying. TFTP is not the easiest of moves. It can take a few efforts and you have to be careful to get everything absolutely right.

Timing seems to be important.

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

LIke @michaelkenward says, keep trying. tftp is time sensitive for several steps. I've seen several times when it was the 3rd/4th time when it worked for people

And you have to have tftp enabled on your computer. did you enable it? 

Are you able to ping the extender at all? 

And sometimes when tftp fails, nmrpflash works. 

Message 5 of 10
monashaker
Aspirant

Yes, i enble tftp on my windows laptop.

I don't know how it suppose to work actually, being in reboot state means the router is not active to estiblish a connection to it so that you can install a new frameware

What I can see that the device has a hardware failure that can't work any more. 

Message 6 of 10

@monashaker wrote:

I don't know how it suppose to work actually, being in reboot state means the router is not active to estiblish a connection to it so that you can install a new frameware

Reboot state? That's not solid amber. That's better described as "corrupted state".

The point of the various steps involved in TFTP is that does establish a connection between the laptop and the router. (Disconnect everything else from the router.) The trouble is that the connection may not last long for some reason. You have to get in there and do the TFTP stuff while there is a connection.

As @plemans suggests, a video is a good way of seeing how to go about things.

One thing that hasn't come up before is the faint chance that you can force the thing into recovery mode.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If that works the power LED may start blinking white and you may be able to use TFTP to write new firmware to the thing.

Remember to set the IP address on the laptop before you do any of this, and restore the default after you have finished messing around. Then the laptop will get its IP address from the router.

Message 7 of 10
monashaker
Aspirant

"Reboot state? That's not solid amber. That's better described as "corrupted state"."
--> This is on the Manual of WifiExtender 3700 (Power Point in solid Amber means the extender is rebooting)

"The point of the various steps involved in TFTP is that does establish a connection between the laptop and the router. (Disconnect everything else from the router.) The trouble is that the connection may not last long for some reason. You have to get in there and do the TFTP stuff while there is a connection."
--> How can you establish the connection to something that is rebooting, I need at least the Power Led to show some interaction even to shutdown/blink but that doesn't happened at all.
I can see the TFTP is a great way to manually install a new frameware to thw router but you need the router to be active to be able to connect to it and push the new changes.

As @plemans suggests, a video is a good way of seeing how to go about things.
--> I watched the video already to do the steps but on the video, the router power led was blanking which means it was responding not solid amber as in my state

One thing that hasn't come up before is the faint chance that you can force the thing into recovery mode.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

-->  I tried that and it didn't succeed as well

Remember to set the IP address on the laptop before you do any of this, and restore the default after you have finished messing around. Then the laptop will get its IP address from the router.
--> I did that as well because I was following the steps on the video

I totally appreciate your suggestion and that you are trying to help me out but I am afraid nothing from the above help me fix the issue of my extender and I think I will buy another but I will choose a different brand  

Message 8 of 10

The problem is that we are trying to fix an extender, I made the mistake of reading where you posted your message.

At the outset I should have advised you to put your problem in the appropriate section. This discussion shows why this is important. Different devices have different issues and ways of doing things.

This section is for Nighthawk WiFi Routers. The chances of success are higher if you take your problem to where it belongs:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Extenders are not routers.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

not much else we're going to tell you over there except maybe try nmrpflash

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos