TheYoungMunk
Aspirant

Power adapter question

Hello all - I live in the Middle East (Kuwait). I recently bought R6700 (V2) from Amazon USA. 

When I opened the package, I noticed that the power adapter is rated for 110v at 50-60Hz. However in my country, we get 240 v at 50 Hz. I have an option to buy a 3rd party power adapter (which I want to avoid), but my preference is to use an OEM. Unfortunately, there is no local dealer for Netgear in Kuwait. Can I ask Netgear to send me an adapter relevant to my region/country. Do they do it for such cases?

Also, I came across a thread on this forum (http://bit.ly/2kDdOEM), where he states that the power supply is actually universal, but incorrectly labelled. I want to confirm if this is indeed the case. Any first hand experiences here?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
William10a
Master

Re: Power adapter question

Since the power supply adaptor they use is a switch mode power supply it should be able to handle the 10hz difference and as far the voltage goes a 120 to 250 range far the input.

If you look for travel power converter all it is a step down transformer with a 2:1 ratio, it would let you use the adapter without any problems

Message 2 of 4
TheYoungMunk
Aspirant

So are you saying that the adapter is indeed a 120v to 250v range for the input?

Message 3 of 4
William10a
Master

From what I have seen if you want to use the 120 volt rating only you can get a travel adapter for the mains voltage for where your are the difference in the power line frequency is not big enough to make a difference to the power supply. Travel voltage converters can be found online or may be a store near you.

The old block style adapters had a transformer that pluged into the wall so voltage and line frequency played a big role but the new switch modes convert the AC into DC to run a circuit to drive a transformer and then conert it back into dc.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements