Power outage AC1900 R7000 - no Wifi or ethernet until router is power cycled

ASJ
Follower
Follower

Power outage AC1900 R7000 - no Wifi or ethernet until router is power cycled

Hoping someone can advise... I searched the community and did not find the answer. In a nutshell, frequent power outages affect my internet connectivity via wifi and ethernet. AC1900 comes back on with all appropriate lights, but the internet signal does not get past the router to my devices. Only remedy is to power cycle the router, which is a problem because I travel frequently. Router is plugged into a UPS, although I was having this problem prior to installing the UPS.

Is it possible to remote access the router via a laptop or through the Nighthawk app and power cycle the router remotely? Any other suggestions to resolve this issue when away from home?

Thanks.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Re: Power outage AC1900 R7000 - no Wifi or ethernet until router is power cycled

Yes, check the manual for REMOTE ACCESS... you'll need to set up the router for this.

With the Nighthawk app you can do remote access and reboot the router.

Of course, the router has to be up to get into it.

Message 2 of 4

Re: Power outage AC1900 R7000 - no Wifi or ethernet until router is power cycled

@ASJ

Please tell us more about your setup.  Who is the ISP, what is in front of the R7000?  Is it connected to the UPS as well?

If not, it should be.  I would recommend using a UPS that is able to handle surges, dips and at minimum 30 min of sustained power outage.  This is not a lot to ask of a quality UPS.  The draw from a modem and router is extremely low.  The UPS should have AVR.

There will be no remote access to the router if it's WAN does not see the modem or the IP its offering the router.

Keeping the devices up during power anomolies and outages should be the focus. 

As an example.  I have my Arris Cable modem, R8000P and 7.1 channel cambridge audo system connect to a 800w UPS with AVR.  It will run 116 minutes on battery.  My set up is a bit extreme Man LOL

Please consider the above recommendations which should help improve the reliability and uptime of your connection.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 3 of 4

When you are running a separate modem and router network, you may hit the dreaded power on brickwall. If the router tries to get on to the network before the modem has internet access, it will sit there going nowhere. Sounds like this is what you see.

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router in a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

The whole network should boot in the right order. Modem and then router.

I ended up replacing a D6400 modem/router (set up in modem only mode) with a simpler DM200 modem. The modem gets its acts together before the R7800 router tries to kick in.

Create your own power cut when you are at home and see if they boot sequence is right.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E