Re: Powerline connection extremely slow now

bmesc
Aspirant

Powerline connection extremely slow now

Just installed a R7500. Have been using TP-Link TL-PA4010 for all computers on home network. At first, everything ran very fast. Now, for some unknown reason, my work computer behind the garage has slowed to a crawl (computer in house works very fast). Was hitting 50mbps, now can only muster 16. I numerous times: different TP-Link units, resets, pairing, turning router off/on. Nothing has changed. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 7
fordem
Mentor

If the computer in the house is fast and the one in the garage is slow, the problem is most likely the link from the garage to the house - so TP-Link would be the people to talk to, however the problem is likely to be one of interference - which powerline networking is notorious for.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 7
bmesc
Aspirant

It's probably the same story you hear all the time: One day it was working great, the next day it wasn't. Don't know why. I was previously using a ASUS RT-N66U with no problems. No speed issues. This R7500 is supposed to be as good or better. I need the speed to do my job.
Message 3 of 7
fordem
Mentor

If you think the R7500 is the problem, then reinstall the Asus - I think your powerline network is the issue. Hasn't it occurred to you that if the router was the issue then ALL the computers would be slow?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 4 of 7
bmesc
Aspirant

I guess my thinking is, if it was the connection, then it would have also been slow with the ASUS. At any rate, reading some Amazon product reviews, I think I know what it may be. This model has a dynamic QoS that appears to be confused. Once you run speedtest.com, it throttles you down. This is the case with ever device through any connection. I am trying to get a response from Netgear tech support. Thanks
Message 5 of 7
Fairytail
Virtuoso

If Dynamic QoS is enabled and you think it is the reason for the slow connection, you may try to disable it and check if the same problem. You may try as well to update the firmware using the R7500 Beta FW V1.0.0.74.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=93827
Message 6 of 7
bmesc
Aspirant

Later discovered Dynamic QoS was off. We determined the unit was probably defective. They sent a new one, I sent the old back to them.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E