Printer Not Recognized on Network

GeekinNC
Tutor

Printer Not Recognized on Network

I upgraded the firmware to v.1.0.9.32. It has kicked my printer off the network. I thought maybe the printer was too old (9 years) to connect, so I bought a new one. This one won't connect to the network either. All the other devices are working fine.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 21
myersw
Master

Re: Printer Not Recognized on Network

Need more info then printer will not connect. What make/model of printer. How is is connected to the network. What error messages are displayed on the printer? Any log messages on the router about not being able to connect? 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 21
GeekinNC
Tutor

This is the third time I have responded to your post. I don't know what it is not showing.

The new printer is PIXMA TS3122, and the old one is Brother MFC-J470DW. Both show they are picking up WiFi, but router with upgrade to new version is not showing them on the network. The other equipment (2 computers and a tablet) are connecting with no problem. There are no error messages on NetGenie.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 21
IrvSp
Master

@GeekinNC wrote:

This is the third time I have responded to your post. I don't know what it is not showing.

The new printer is PIXMA TS3122, and the old one is Brother MFC-J470DW. Both show they are picking up WiFi, but router with upgrade to new version is not showing them on the network. The other equipment (2 computers and a tablet) are connecting with no problem. There are no error messages on NetGenie.

What does "not showing them on the network" mean in terms how you are determing this?

Can you see the IP Address on the Printer? Is it in the same LAN as the router's IP Address?

Message 4 of 21
GeekinNC
Tutor

By "not recognized by the network" I mean that the printer indicates that IT is connected to WiFi, but the network does not show that the printer is a part of the network. It is not on the network map. I do not have an IP address for the printer.

The other think I noticed is that with this new firmware upgrade, it is only recognizing the 5G networks, and not the non-5G network, but the printers need to connect to the non-5G networks because they are not 5G compatible.

The firmware should not have kicked off the non-5G band.

Message 5 of 21
IrvSp
Master

Not familiar with that printer, and from what I can tell it doesn't have a screen? Still, something had to set it up, tablet, phone, PC? Shouldn't one of those be able to connect and see via a screen or tool the Printer and its IP Address?

I suspect though that the real problem here is NOT the Printer but that you can't see or view the 2.4Ghz SSID? However, if the printer is 2.4Ghz capable only, how could you have connected it and installed it?

I'd open Genie in a browser and then inspect the wireless settings for the router. Ensure the 2.4Ghz SSID is enable AND make sure the 2.4Ghz button on top has NOT turned off that SSID? By the way, is that LED on?

As another test, re-install the prior firmware but first RESET the router and see if the printer works?

Message 6 of 21
GeekinNC
Tutor

The 2.4Ghz is lit. All my networks are now showing on Genie.

The one thing that is not being included in this discussion is that the original printer that was connected to the network (and working fine - Brother MFC-J470DW) was not connected to the network after I did the firmware upgrade. So, this is not an issue tied to a specific printer. It's a problem with whatever the connection is between the router and the printer - something about the firmware upgrade has changed the ability of the router to recognize ANY printer.

Message 7 of 21
IrvSp
Master

@GeekinNC wrote:

The 2.4Ghz is lit. All my networks are now showing on Genie.

The one thing that is not being included in this discussion is that the original printer that was connected to the network (and working fine - Brother MFC-J470DW) was not connected to the network after I did the firmware upgrade. So, this is not an issue tied to a specific printer. It's a problem with whatever the connection is between the router and the printer - something about the firmware upgrade has changed the ability of the router to recognize ANY printer.

So the problem you are reporting isn't the Subject but that you have no 2.4Ghz SSID?

Yet you say "The 2.4Ghz is lit. All my networks are now showing on Genie."?

First, 'what' Genie are you using, browser, phone/tablet app? You only have one network, the LAN, and there are 2 SSID radio's that are broadcast for the LAN (usually).

So the question now is is the 2.4Ghz SSID being broadcast AND are there other devices that both SEE it and CONNECT to it?

Next I'll assume that the Printer connects via Wifi and you either can't see the 2.4Ghz SSID via the printer or you can but it eitherCAN'T get an IP Address from the router or IT CAN but you do not see it on the NETWORK MAP?

Another question, what OS are you using? I just got a new HP printer and connected it wirelessly to my R8000 (very similar in terms of Genie in a browser to the R7000). I had to use its view screen to set it up and for Wifi I had to select the wanted SSID (it is dual band, can do both SSID's) and the printer did the rest. Now there are 2 Win 10 PC's here, one a Home version, the other Pro. Pro had no problem as it automatically picked up the printer (using W10's built-in drivers), but Home needed to have the HP s/w installed? However it all works fine on both PC's. Wondering if you need to do that?

From Message #3:

===================

===================

So you are using 2 printers now and the Brother worked before, right?

"Both show they are picking up WiFi"

So both CAN see the 2.4Ghz SSID? Both 'think' they are connected to it? Correct?

"but router with upgrade to new version is not showing them on the network."

Again, how are you determining this? Where are you looking? If you try to print anything from a device/PC can you? Does either printer show in a programs list of available printers?

"The other equipment (2 computers and a tablet) are connecting with no problem"

What SSID band are those connected to?

Those 2 printers should have a way to either see or print the network data. When you do that, what do they show for IP Address and Gateway? What is the IP Address of your Router? What is the IP address of one of the PC's?

What Modem (make and model) do you have?

Have you tried RESETTING the router and reentering the settings manually?

Have you tried going back to the old firmware and test to see if the printers are 'seen'?

Answer these and it might help narrow down the problem?

Message 8 of 21
LVLee
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. Since I upgraded the firmware to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44, I can no longer access my wireless printer (Epson WF-3640), which I've been using for years. If I look in the connected device screen for the R7000, it does not show the printer as connected, however the printer reports that it has an IP address and is connected. 

I've tried connected from computers that are wirelessly connected to the router and also from a computer that is wired to the router and neither of them can see the printer anymore.

Initital I thought it was an issue with the printer, but I think because the printer doesn't show up in the routers connected device list, then the problem is within the router. Again, this issue did not appear until the firmware upgrade. I've had both computer, printer and router for many years now.

Message 9 of 21
GeekinNC
Tutor

Hi

I had to turn off the router to reset everything .After you get the router up and running, check your network configuration through Windows .Make sure there is only one version of your printer showing on the network. If there are 2 versions delete the version that says copy or version 2. For some reason the upgrade acted like it was installing a new printer, and that confused the system when using the print command. 

Message 10 of 21
LVLee
Aspirant

Thanks! That worked. For whatever reason, doing a software reboot didn't work, but physically unplugging the router did the trick. 

Message 11 of 21
GeekinNC
Tutor

I'm glad that worked for you! Thanks for letting me know.

Message 12 of 21
cbax
Aspirant

I have a network printer that work but does not show up on attached devices.  I can see it with another network scanner however out of my 30 wireless and 6 wired devices it does detect,  it does not detect my lexmark t610 network printer.  Any ideas?  

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 13 of 21
GeekinNC
Tutor

Have you disconnect the router from the power source and then reconnected after about 30 seconds?

Message 14 of 21
cbax
Aspirant

I have rebooted everything. Should not need to reboot a device for it to detect it. Like i said the device works and I can connect to it,  it is just not being detected by nighthawl app, genie app or the router local panel in wired devices.

Message 15 of 21
GeekinNC
Tutor

Be happy that even if it doesn't show up as part of the network you can still connect to it. Periodically, the router kicks our printers off the network and I need to reboot the router.  I never had this issue before Netgear sent out its latest update  It's a bug in their security update  Hope their people are reading these posts. 

Message 16 of 21
BPulfer
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue.  I have a Nighthawk AC1750v2 and an Epson Workforce 3540.  Every time I want to print over the wireless, I need to first reset my router.  I don't know how long it take before the router decides that it no longer wants to talk to the printer, but the only workaroud that I have found so far is to reset the router.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 17 of 21
GeekinNC
Tutor

Having to reboot the router every single time you want to use the printer does not sound very good. Has the printer ever worked normally with the router? If it did, did it stop working correctly when you upgraded the firmware? If so, you might want to go back to the previous firmware version. The other option is to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I hate to say it, but you're going to be inconvenienced unless you just want to change routers.

Message 18 of 21
Thinkster
Apprentice

Unless totally not feasible, I would recommend running some CAT5 from the router or network switch to the printer! Much more reliable. I always do offices like this and residences when possible..
Message 19 of 21
microchip8
Master

I recommend downgrading the firmware by a few versions. The last few releases have been problematic and we got quite a few complaints about things not working at all or not as they should

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 20 of 21
cbax
Aspirant

I ended up just returning mine.  Too buggy.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements