× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ProSafe GS116 Switch Only Connects to Netgear XR1000 Router with Crossover Cable

xheliosx
Initiate

ProSafe GS116 Switch Only Connects to Netgear XR1000 Router with Crossover Cable

It appear thay my newly aquired Netgear XR1000 router does not have MDI/MDI-X capability. The setup is stand-alone Cable Modem->XR1000->ProSafe GS116 Switch->PC. This same configuration worked perfectly using my old router (Apple Airport). However,with the XR1000, the switch only works if I use a crossover cable. Also, the crossover cable will not work if I use it to connect the XR1000 directly to a PC. This same crossover cable did work when connecting the Airport to a PC. So, it seems like the XR1000 does not support MDI/MDI-X? Can someone confirm that? Shouldn't the GS116 also have MDI/MDI-X and work without a crossover even if the XR1000 doesn't have MDI/MDI-X?

Regards

Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: ProSafe GS116 Switch Only Connects to Netgear XR1000 Router with Crossover Cable

> [...] So, it seems like the XR1000 does not support MDI/MDI-X? [...]

I don't have the hardware, so I can't confirm or refute, but someone
else recently climbed onto an unrelated thread with a similar complaint
about a different device:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2094106

So far, no one has believed it, but I'm beginning to wonder.

> [...] Shouldn't the GS116 also have MDI/MDI-X and work without a
> crossover even if the XR1000 doesn't have MDI/MDI-X?

In principle, everyone should negotiate an optimal connection, no
matter what.  I have not seen a case where a cross-over cable was needed
(or prohibited) in the past twenty years.  And I have some pretty
antique junk here.

Message 2 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: ProSafe GS116 Switch Only Connects to Netgear XR1000 Router with Crossover Cable

I can't see any references to this in the spec or manual, may be best to make a ticket directly with Netgear: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 3 of 4
xheliosx
Initiate

OK, ticket created. I'll post the results when I get a response.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7